After five months of doing nothing (life got in the way, blah blah…) I realized I better get moving. To be honest, the main reason for not doing any work on the Meteor for so long was that I could not be bothered with the whole masking thing for the lower surfaces – after the masking job for the camouflage I felt Tamiya tape and me needed a little distance from each other…
Anyway, with a hard deadline looming I had to push on. I first installed the landing gear, as this would spare me from dealing with glue marks on a metal finish later on. I had filed back the axle stubs previously, so the wheels would slide into the assembled gear.
Masking and spraying the underside was actually a quick job, so quick in fact I forgot to take pictures – but it is basically just Tamiya X-1 Gloss Black as a base, followed by AK Xtreme Metal Aluminium.
The decals were no fun at all. Someone already mentioned the issues with the initial release of this kit, and its decals are no exception. They are thick, take ages to seperate from the carrier sheet, are inflexible, and hardly respond to any setting solution. I had to work really slow and deliberate, attacking each decal with setting solution, a sharp blade, and even some Tamiya X-20A Thinner – basically these buggers were not so much applied as they were beaten into submission.
The decals for the black trim on the fin are a monument to human stupidity. With this beaing a tricky surface at the best of times, the decals’ quality makes it impossible to achieve an acceptable result. I decided to use some of the decals and paint the rest by hand.
After I had sealed the decals (50/50 mix of Tamiya Gloss and Flat Clear), I applied some pin washes using Ammo by Mig “Dark Wash”, and a lighter brown wash for the yellow fin. I wanted to keep it fairly clean, as I am pretty sure these aircraft were well taken care of.
Now she is ready for the final reveal on Dec. 16th, so there you go. Thanks for following this WIP – and thanks again to Paul for making the Group Build happen!