Revell 1/48th Eurofighter Typhoon

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 94 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Update time as it has been awhile. While working on the Lanc, Bucc and Beaufighter, it's time to get some work done on the Typhoon. Lot of details on this kit, though not as intense as the Kitty Hawk Jag. It's a British kind of thing lately. This step is to assemble the lower wing strakes and pods.

Once assembled next step is to install them. The Chaff dispensers are already moulded into the wings, if this was a Trumpeter or Kitty Hawk they may have been separate parts as well.

Next is a pair of sensors that are located next to the Amraam missile troughs. Very small pieces. At this time I paint the ducting steel before installing the covers.

Though not in this step, I also build the Sidewinder missile rails and install them.

With the paint dry, I install the cooling ducting covers. And finally wallah, I found the nose cone, Yaaaay! When I was looking for something else...go figure. More to follow

2 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Hi Chuck, apologies for being late here - I have been without any net and poor phone coverage. Firstly, she is looking very much the part now - a great WIP as ever and some great detail appearing and being explained.

Secondly, I jumped for joy when I saw that nose cone - good to come back online and see that it has reappeared!

• Profile Photo

I don't swear Paul, but really I grabbed the box and was starting to put all the parts back in. I grabbed the bags that were stuffed in the box. You know I did look in each one and squeezed them to see if I could feel any parts before. This time for the heck of it I did it again and there it is the nose cone, thinking what the heck it was in there all this time. Now it's back in the build line. I was going to introduce the new Revell Tornado to replace the Typhoon. You know I still may do so. As so far each build is coming along very well.

• Profile Photo

Since I found the nose cone under my nose all this time. We can proceed in kick starting the Typhoon. And first thing is install that nose cone.

Now she is taking shape. With the nose cone now attached, a fairly good fit. As next is showing a couple of issues that will need to be addressed and is the same ones that other modelers have already mentioned in their builds. The intake fit issues around the forward section of the fuselage to wing join. A bit of seam work will be needed here.

Next was to build the wingtip sensor pods. One for each wing tip.

Just assembled the 4 main pieces, leaving the rest of the detail bits off for now, first some clean up before doing that.

pic8]

And that will do it for now. Next up the spine and cockpit rear avionics shelf. More to follow.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 10 months ago:

This is (one of) the great thing(s) about this site, Chuck. The vicarious emotions of following a friend's WiP.

I just love a good 'non siquitur' and directly after reading this on the commute a colleague at the office asked, "how are you this morning?" - I replied "good, thanks, Chuck found his nose cone and all's well".

So, from your bench in Southern California, somewhere in Imperial College, London there is a junior doctor walking around thinking, "who's Chuck...and what the hell is a nose-cone?"

The weather here is more like So Cal, it's Friday, and I have a hard 2pm finish. Happy days.

• Profile Photo

That is funny, wondering about a comment, shaking my head with a smile. It will be an extremely hot dry day here tomorrow at a 110 degrees. Summer is here, it is 12:45AM at this moment it is 77 degrees. I have my 40th anniversary High School reunion this Saturday and so looking forward to seeing the fun bunch. I was blessed to grow up with the same bunch of kids from kindergarten thru high school. How far fetched is that now these days. My own kids won't have that opportunity as they were not always in the same home long enough to create those type of friendships that I enjoyed. Sad really. Yes it will be a happy day...

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 10 months ago:

You don't want SoCal weather like it is today! 95F at 0930, forecast to hit 112-115 between 1500-1700, here in the San Fernando Valley.

• Profile Photo

Re: finding the nose cone: doesn't that just make you want to scream? Just went through a project where the cats decided the prop was a new cat toy. Finally SWMBO comes in from the living room with the part in her palm - "Is this something important to you? The cats were batting it around." And you can't be mad at them for being themselves.

• Profile Photo

Great to hear about your lifelong friends, Chuck. Treasure them. When I was at junior school through high school I had the same group of friends for 12-14 years straight. We learned together, played together and when we got a little older we discovered music and girls together. Peculiarly we all came from broken families; there were five of us who would be there for each other through anything.

I've gotten in touch with these guys over the years and found that life and our experiences had changed us all in different ways. Not all of it good, sad to say. Maybe it's why I model? To recapture a lost and more innocent time, something...simpler. My own kids (4) have moved around a lot, too. None of them have ever had friends of the longevity or depth that I experienced.

As I've gotten older I find friendships hard to make. Sometimes I think I've just seen too much or know too much about what makes people tick - I find small talk really difficult and I just cannot abide bull@&£$. You guys are as close as I get to 'real' friendships. And that's good with me. One day (and my daughter, 13yrs, thinks this is the best idea ever) I might just grab the family, jump in a plane to the States, and go on a long road trip to visit all my iModeler 'brethren'.

I hope the reunion is terrific, Chuck. Oh, and the Eurofighter looks great.

• Profile Photo

Hey, @tcinla - it's 18:00 in London and it's just tipped 90 F. Been like this for three weeks which is unheard of in these parts. Hell, I'm originally from Edinburgh where 90 F is a concept or an oven setting.

• Profile Photo

Repeat after me: Glo-bal warm-ing is a lib-er-al plot! (repeat as necessary 🙂 )

Was just reading that there are heat domes over all of the northern hemisphere creating some of the hottest temperatures ever.

• Profile Photo

Across the pond, Scotland provisionally set its hottest ever temperature when Motherwell, a town just southeast of Glasgow, hit 91.7°F on June 28. Glasgow had its hottest day on record (89.4°F), as did Shannon, Ireland (89.6°F). Belfast, the capitol of Northern Ireland, also hit a record that day (85.1°F) while the village of Castlederg in Northern Ireland broke its record when temperatures reached 86.1°F.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Chuck have fun at the reunion, my 50th was two years ago,and both of us had a great time. Some kids had changed so much I didn't recognize them until they spoke, that's what a lost of hair and added weight will do to you. As to the weather, hey it's July for Christ sake it's suppose to be hot. And David LS, there are direct flights from London to Cincinnati, and then very cheap ones from Cincy down to Florida. Just sayin. Oh, BTW Chuck,your progress is fun to watch and the missing nose cone, you lucky guy, I've never found the canopy for a P-40E I did several years ago. I had it, test fitted it, then it disappeared. I believe it's circling Uranus right now.

• Profile Photo

When you say 'circling Uranus'...

If and when that iModeler (US) road trip comes off, you are on the hit list.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 10 months ago:

If you guys just happen to venture a little too far south, I "know this guy" that lives in Florida... Rumor has it he knows the location to one of the best pizza shops in the area, and has a few friends that restore real life 1 to 1 scale "Warbirds"... a visit to this shop could be "arranged". 🙂

and I'm still looking for that propeller from a Tamiya F4F Wildcat that was built a little over a year ago... If it ever shows up I'll jump up and down with happiness...