1/72 Hasegawa Jaguar GR.1

Started by George R Blair Jr · 4 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Hasegawa, Jaguar GR.1, Johnny Fartpants, Operation Granby
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

I just finished a Special Hobby kit and a Valom kit, and both proved to be challenging builds. I wanted to build something for the Desert Storm Group that was a little less challenging, so I chose a 1/72 Hasagawa Jaguar GR.1.

I got a set of decals for the Operation Granby Jaguars from KitsWorld.

Although the color schemes were all the same, the main difference was the choice between some really great nose art. After looking over the choices, I decided there was only one real option for the nose art: a plane called Johnny Fartpants. I can't even say the name without smiling. This plane was a Jaguar GR.1 of 41 Squadron, Serial number XX725 T. It accumulated 47 combat missions during Operation Granby (the British name for Desert Storm).

The plane is basically built from the box. The only thing I substituted was the ejection seat, which I replaced with one I had lurking in my spares box. I doubt if this is the correct seat for the Jaguar, but it looks considerably better than the kit seat.

I painted the plane using Tamiya Desert Tan, which is close to the color used on the Jaguars. I use a three part process to give the finish a little variation: I spray the plane with the base color, then add some dark highlights along panel lines and random panels, then tie it all together with a very thin coat of the original color.

I finished up with some weathering using various colors of artist oils. I apply the oils, and then gradually blend them using mineral spirits.

9 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

George @gblair, you put together this beauty at a split second. You are the man!
    Such a lovely thing to see models quickly finished and looking really good! Reminds me of my child days, where a few of the many friend modelers were quick but quality builders, presenting really great models, put together so quickly!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten). After the Valom and Special Hobby builds, this seemed like a snap.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 7 months ago:

The Hase kit is their typical good 72nd scale series that appeared in the mid 80's. It has been reboxed a few times or with different markings. I built the original boxing back in 1992 when I was really in DS mode with these markings. Now have 3 of them built up a pair in 72nd scale and the Kitty Hawk kit in 48th. It goes together very well and rather quickly. Nice to do a kit that has very little challenges. Well done George.