Revell 1/32 RAF Tornado GR.1 ”Mig Eater”, Tabuk, 1991

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 123 · 2 years ago · 1/32, Desert Storm, Mig Eater, Revell, Tornado
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Lol, Spiros like as if you took half the trees from the island of Leros. To reinforce those wings. With those 7 or 8 builds going, (i have about just as many in progress and just finishing up), I build methodically and just on the weekends. You seem to be a bit quicker with your work, yet very well built models. And even a resin kit or two and different scales on top of that. Your a machine. Though I do have some armor in progress as well. Just to have some variety. I also build in multiple scales.

The weekend goes by rather quickly these days. Keep it going as I try to keep up.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

You may be able to see the Tornado wings between the trees -LOL- ! Chuck @uscusn.

I try to build every night for a couple of hours, weekends included. Also, during the weekends, I might extra-build a bit during daytime, house and family obligations permitting.

Though I try to focus on one-two models, I just cannot let the other ones idling for a long time (I hear my Vautour calling me...), especially the Group Build ones that I am so much motivated and honored to build together with the other Great Members. So, the stalled Tornado progress had been swivelling in my mind for some days before, relighted yesterday night.

Also, I might tackle some armor (it will be my first time...) for this GB quite soon, due to motivation building up.

Yours truly build style: "if you cannot see it, I will most probably not build it... -LOL". This might save me some time, hence quicker builds, but of course it's not a suggestion; I admire all those meticulously detailed models, even at the areas that cannot be seen, with equal respect to their builders.

I have witnessed your in-depth methodical work and I am impressed. Your approach to modeling is a guide and inspiration for me, not to mention the pics coverage/tutorials, which are perfect.

So, let's keep going!

All the best!

• Profile Photo

An update:

I glued the two halves of the aft fuselage together.

Fit was not good, especially at the rear section.

A lot of sanding and filling would have to be done at this not so strong part, so I took no risks and reinforced the bad joints with small styrene rods, secured with liquefied styrene.

Liquefied styrene was also applied at the outside of the bad joints.

It will all rest and set now, waiting its initial coarse sanding to asess the situation...

Starts to look (ok, just a bit...) like a Tornado and I love it!

All the best, Great "Gulf War" GB!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 8 months ago:

This some build,Spiros!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Large planes always eat up a lot of your consumables, like glue, filler, paint, etc. So keep your local hobby shop on speed dial. :o) Looking forward to the rest of the project.

• Profile Photo

Indeed it is,Robert @roofrat!

• Profile Photo

I believe this one will also eat up a couple of bastard files as well -LOL!- George @gblair!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Now, you say it is a Tornado my friend, but it LOOKS like a very strong ironbridge 🙂

I like the super-engineering approach Spiros - keep it comin'!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @airbum!
    You gotta reinforce those questionable areas of (usually) large scale jets. A 10 minute precautionary reinforcement might save a 10 hour remedial action, a lesson from the past learned by yours truly.

• Profile Photo

Sanding update!

That was a lot of coarse sanding! My bastard file was used too!
    At least the result is passable now for taking the normal loop of filling and sanding.
    Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Just what the doctor ordered! - looks a better place to start finetuning my friend. With the wings fixed, at least you do not have to make the wing gloves inflatable.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @airbum!

About the seals: here are seals pics of Gulf War "fully operational" Tornados (meaning well used).

You can see how they look in reality, in comparison with the respectable but generic and unreal Revell depiction:

Solution has been finalized in my mind and, instead of of incomprehensible beforehand explanations, will be clearly presented upon hopeful implementation, together with pics (one pic = 1000 words); hopefully tonight!

I have to say that the most challenging issue of this kit is the wing correct and solid sit, realistically looking seals included.

Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Looks great, Spiros (@fiveten). It is hard to tell the difference between the photos of war-weary seals and your model seal.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Looking good, Spiros! That kit looks challenging to say the least.

• Profile Photo

Thanks George @gblair and John @j-healy!