1/48 Tamiya F4F Wildcat LCDR John S. Thach, CO of VF-3

Started by Brian Scott · 21 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Brian Scott said 7 years, 2 months ago:

I was invited by my good friend Frederick J Seitz III to join the midway GB and could not pass this up. I will be doing mine in the awesome marking of Thach.

Cheers Brian

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Welcome aboard Brian !

It's great to have you join our Battle of Midway Group Build.

Looks like you have picked at a fantastic subject AND model to build... We will be looking forward build updates.

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Wait till you see this build, Louis...

• Profile Photo

If it turns out anything like his other builds posted here (and I'm sure it will), this one will be an absolute masterpiece. I really like his VMF-214 USS Franklin F4U, and his Marion Carl F4F.

• Profile Photo

Thanks 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks for the picture of L/Cdr. Thach. I've heard a lot about him, and it's nice to see a color photo.

• Profile Photo

To coincide with Brian's build, I am starting on another model for this build, a Nakajima B5N torpedo bomber, of that flown by Lt. Tomanaga Joichi, who led the attacks on Midway and was shot down and killed, by Lcdr Thatch. Sort of a victor and vanquished theme, if you will.
    I will be touching up the TBD, and then start on the Tomanaga aircraft.

• Profile Photo

Starting on Thach's VF-3 Wildcat. I wanted to reposition the tail wheel . I cut it off with a razor saw . Drilled a hole through the wheel and gear cover on the airframe . Then used the drill bit as a pin . In the past Wildcat I had a step on the lower side where the back of the wing meets the airframe . To fix it I added a little plastic to split the airframe and take care of the step. Now to starting painting the interior .

Brian

• Profile Photo

Excellent ! What a great idea. I will be looking forward to this.

• Profile Photo

Frederick what is the Tomanaga aircraft. >

Brian

• Profile Photo

Not trying to high jack your thread but I found a few photos on line of a model that was built of the B5N as mentioned by Frederick.

Hope this helps...

• Profile Photo

It's a Nakajima built, B5N, torpedo bomber, that was flown by Lt. Tomanaga, during attacks on Midway. Ill post a few pick tonight, and write the history for the aircraft and what happened during the battle

• Profile Photo

Louis not a problem and that is one fantastic looking Kate 🙂

Brian

• Profile Photo

Basic colors painted on Thach's Wildcat. I will be using the Aerobonus WWII Navy pilot in the crawling out position .

Brian

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Coming right along! I like that figure, a lot!