E13A 'Jake'

Started by Paul Barber · 37 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 7 years, 1 month ago:

My only problem now is what colour to paint 'scout 4'. For most Japanese planes at Midway there are reasonably clear answers. However for Jakes there is some doubt. Some say gray, some say green, some gray-green!

Here is one answer - from http://www.j-aircraft.com/faq/E13.htm

Dc-'41 - Black Cowl with gray fuselage on the same order as the Zero's
    Ju-'42 - Capitol Ship-borne [Same as above]
    Ju-'42 - Tender-based = Black Cowl with dark green fuselage and these were mixed, that is, some aircraft had the gray fuselage also.
    Ag-'42 - By now, most were of the dark green variety, but there were still some that had the earlier paint scheme.

The June '42 details seem to make sense.

However Tone and Chikuma are sometimes reported as having 3 Jakes each at the time of Pearl Harbour - which were gray. Does that mean that 'scout 4' was added later?

Add to the mix the decals from Print scale, and this adds a little more 'smoke and mirrors'!

Any clues?

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Paul, seems to me you'll be right, whichever you do. At this late date, who is gonna fault you? Yeah, I know! Me, I'm looking forward to what you're gonna do with the old girl.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Here's a thought I had about the color choice: It seems that the planes were painted just as you stated above. Either overall gray, or green over gray. You could paint it gray, and no one could really fault you. If they did, simply say it was just "Before" Midway... Who could prove you wrong ? Honestly it's your plane and ultimately your choice. Build it to suit your own tastes and conclusions.

I'm very pleased that the resin engine looks that nice. I'll try to get one for my E-13 too. It will definitely enhance the looks of the kit supplied "engine", and is a great upgrade.

Yes I really like the new Hasegawa E8N1. Apparently they are offering a later E8N2 now as well. I need to get the photo etch rigging that Hasegawa has available for them. I think it includes a new instrument panel too.

Here's a picture of my kit. I still have not opened the shrink wrap.

Since it has not been opened, I really don't have a first hand look at the contents. But I have found two online reviews from other websites. Here are a few links that will show you what's inside the box.

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/preww2/previews/hasegawa/19197.htm

This one is a build review...

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/builds/has/build_has_19197.shtml

followed by a few other Japanese float planes from my stash that were recently released by Hasegawa maybe a year or so ago ?

This one is a limited edition F1M2 "Pete" Float plane in 1/48 scale. Kit number 07408. It too is still sealed.

and another 1/48 Hasegawa "Pete". This is kit number JT-96 or 19196 and it's open.

It would be neat to see if any of these were used at Midway... If they were there at Midway, I don't know how long the boxes would remain sealed...

Hope this helps to answer some of your questions.

I really like what you're doing with your "Jake". Please keep us posted.

Thanks my friend.

• Profile Photo

Hey Paul, I've found some interesting information about Japanese seaplane tenders.

http://www.combinedfleet.com/Chitose_t.htm

If you scroll down to the timeline of early June, you will see that the IJN tender "Chitose" , carried 16 seaplane fighters, probably F1M2 Pete's, and 4 Scout Planes, probably Jake's. Later on in July 1942 they are listed as having a compliment carried on board of 14 Pete's and 5 Jakes, with two of each type carried in addition as reserve aircraft.

From another website and the old Tamiya 1/50 scale F1M2 Pete model instructions, (from my stash) they list the tail codes as starting with "YI".

The instructions also called for the Pete's to be a solid overall gray if operated from the Chitose.

Here's a rather comprehensive list of planes and the colors taken from the Tamiya "Pete" instructions: These instructions list the tail codes for various float planes as operated by the IJN. These include planes from battleships, and other types of surface vessels too. The list includes the tail codes for the planes and the overall colors, such as gray, or green over gray.

Here's a picture of the camouflage patterns used on the Pete's.

and finally the decal sheet from the Tamiya 1/50 scale "Type O" Pete.

The decals have the tail codes and numbers in various shades, white, yellow and red, depending on what vessel the plane was operated from.

Hope this helps...

PS, if I get things finished with the other 3 Midway Group builds in time, I may just start a "Pete".

Up until today I was not aware that they were used at Midway. It looks like they may have shot down or possibly damaged a B-17... using a F1M2 "Pete" from a seaplane tender.

So if someone is looking for a unique subject for the Midway Group Build, the "Pete" biplane would be another good choice...

• Profile Photo

That's very interesting indeed Louis, thank you for sharing - apart from being another part of the Midway bigger picture, I guess it gives me the option to paint the Jake green, as there is some suggestion that Tender planes were probably at least a mixture of green and gray aircraft.

I imagine of course, you have seen this:

http://www.j-aircraft.com/faq/midway.htm

which is where a great deal of my info and leads come from. It has plenty on Daves and Petes too.

• Profile Photo

A Jake launch by catapult!

• Profile Photo

Now that was cool !

• Profile Photo

Finally something to post! Here is the (nearly) finished vector radial engine I will be using for this model. Thankfully my plan was always to remove the cowling to depict 'engine trouble' as possibly the issue that stopped 'Scout 4' from getting off its carrier on time (it may have been a faulty catapult or another problem, but I'm going with engine issues). I have cut up the cowling and will use some parts but not others in the end - I have to say this resin engine would not fit into the Nichimo kit in a month of Sundays - so beware if you have one of these old kits and are looking for a simple insert!

All in all construction was testing, due to tiny parts and wires (0.2mm black and 0.4mm red) especially as I have not built a detailed resin engine before. Given another go I think I'd have made the colours contrast more - there are however, 5 Alcad lacquers and a couple of citadel colours on here already! And a wash with Ammo engine grime.

Next up, finding a way to get a cockpit into the fuse...

Happy Easter to all.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 7 years, 1 month ago:

That engine is looking really good Paul. Looking forward to seeing the Jake finished.

• Profile Photo

Paul, Happy Easter to you and yours.
    Great work on that engine!

• Profile Photo

The interesting thing about the overall gray/green uppers and gray lowers is that supposedly the official mandate for the change to green uppers wasn't 'til after the battle. I think that was early in '43, but I could be wrong. At least one of the Aleutian Rufes had green uppers, going by a photo of the wrecked one taken after we captured Kiska. Thinking this was done as a field fix, and then became official once its usefullness was realized.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Looking forward to the build Paul and I agree with the others, if you don't have a pic of your subject, you can't be wrong. I have a 178pg. PDF book on Japanese aircraft colours and the Jake is in there. Unfortunately it's all in Japanese. Is anyone aware of a way to translate PDFs into English? I've used Google translate for small captions but it is a royal pain in the keester; one has to physically draw the Japanese character. I've got a few other books on Japanese aircraft and I'll take a look

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Paul incredible job on the engine, well done.

• Profile Photo

Very cool Paul ! The resin engine looks like it was a kit by itself. This really turned out very nice.

Happy Easter my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 7 years ago:

With the Anniversary creeping closer a brief update. I have made the trailer the floatplane would have been moved around on beachside - whether this carries any relevance to Midway is doubtful - it was fun to weather, I haven't tried to depict rust before! Hats off to those who build armour/distressed vehicles!

I have painted the spinner - alclad gloss black primer under alclad airframe aluminium.

The cockpit I am attempting to shoehorn into the 'space' to be found in the Nichimo Jake has also been painted and is being shaped and fitted very gradually.

I have prepped other major parts. Dry fitting seems to go together quite well, so hopefully there will be a growth spurt!

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.