1/72 Cyber Hobby Sea Vixen FAW.1

Started by Mark J Davies · 8 · 11 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Mark J Davies said 11 years, 4 months ago:

There's a lot wrong with this kit despite it looking nice in the box. I don't have time right now to make a list .

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Lawrence R.(Larry) Schmidt said 11 years, 4 months ago:

The experts said the same thing about the old FROG Sea Vixen that sits on my shelves. Your model is beautifull in its own right. Well done! Adios, Larry.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Larry,
    Glad you liked it.
    Cheers,
    Mark

• Profile Photo
    David Hansen said 11 years, 4 months ago:

Mark, i agree wholeheartedly about the CyberHobby Sea Vixen. Something asbout it just doesn't look right.

Bill "Navy Bird" over at Britmodeller has been rehabilitating the Xtrakit Sea Vixen, but it too has its faults, including tail booms that were too long. But both models i'd say make excellent "Placeholders" until Airfix pulls their organizational fingers out and re-tools their FAW.2 down to 72nd scale. Mind you, i'm super glad they've decided to take on the Lightning!

This model is also proof positive that clean execution and painting can do wonders for a mediocre model. I like it, faults and all.

david

• Profile Photo

Hi David,

Yes, the model looks OK in the cabinet, but I wish I had done some major surgery to use the Falcon canopy intended for the Frog kit, as I feel that the canopy really lets it down. I did use a replacement resin nose, pilot's seat and scratch-built detail under the windscreen and under the canopy behind the pilot's headrest. Here's a link to my build article:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2012/features/seavixen72md_1.htm

Cheers,
    Mark

• Profile Photo
    David Hansen said 11 years, 4 months ago:

Re-read the article this morning. Your logic was perfect, since everybody gave high praise to the Meteor. Perfectly logical to expect the Vixen would be just as good.

And then look what happened.

Its not just the FAA jets either. They seriously cacked-up the Hellcat and there are aspects to their Helldiver which are downright bizarre.

-d-

• Profile Photo

Yes, I very leery of new Cyber Hobby releases, and do not rush to buy them until I have read some good reviews. The only other one besides the Meteor I have is their new Val.

Cheers,
    Mark

• Profile Photo
    Bill Gilman said 11 years, 3 months ago:

It's funny how the Cyber Hobby kit (which Mark has done such a great job with here) is very similar to the Xtrakit version that I built. Same breakdown of the cockpit, same bang seats that were designed for hobbits, same poorly executed air conditioning duct work, same two wing camera pods that were only seen on one aircraft (which is not one of the decal options) etc. The aftermarket sets for either fit both reasonably well. I used a Pavla resin nose for the Cyber Hobby kit and it fit perfect!

Mark was kind enough to not list the faults with Cyber, and although I didn't list all the things that were wrong with Xtrakit, I did list all the things I fixed (and I didn't fix everything!):

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234932239

One thing that is MUCH nicer on the Cyber kit is that it, well, fits together. Without filling. Without sanding. Without cutting.

Oh well, we're still waiting for Airfix to step up to the table and scale down their superb 1:48 Sea Vixen. It's the noble thing for them to do.

Cheers,
    Bill