Yak-15 and -17 dual builds.

Started by Bob Torres · 84 · 13 hours ago · 1/72, Yak-15, Yak-17
  • Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

My last build was KP's 1/72 Yak-23 and it made me want to build the previous two Yakovlev fighter jets that first flew, the Yak-15 and -17. In my stash I have Pioneer 2 Yak-15 and I also have a vacuform kit from Waku of the Yak-17. Both kits are in 1/72 scale, the Yak-15 is a very simple kit that will need some work similar to KP's Yak-23. And the Yak-17 is a vacuform so this will be hopefully my 4th vacuform build.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Some shots of Pioneer 2 Yak-15. Looks simple, the fit reminds me of my recent KP's Yak-23 build.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

A few shots of Waku's vacuform build. Very little info on this kit but there is a video in You Tube on building this kit. It comes with decals but it shows its age. I have two of this kit but one has a lot of damage, the one in the shots is in pretty good shape.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent entries, my friend @v1pro! Looking forward o them!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Great entries, Bob @v1pro
    Those vacuform kits always do look so complex to build nicely.

• Profile Photo

I am starting the Yak-17 vacuform kit first since this will take longer to build. Later I will work on the Yak-15 to catch up.

I cut the main parts from the sheet and sanded them down.

The fuselage looks too narrow, I might have to widen the mid section by adding some cut strips from a styrene sheet. I will have to add some details to the cockpit walls.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

That's a great start, Bob @v1pro
    Parts look very smooth after sanding.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent start, my friend @v1pro!

• Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Thank you John @johnb and Sprios @fiveten. This vacuform kit needs a few corrections. I scratch built the cockpit's sidewalls, seat, engine inlet. I have another PM model Yak-15 with a few missing parts and I'll be using its engine exhaust and the main landing gear later for this build. The fuselage is too narrow so when I glue in the whole cockpit assembly into the fuselage I will also add some cut pieces of styrene strips to widen it.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Excellent job continues, my friend @v1pro! What a satisfaction to transform those less than perfect vac parts to a beautifully shaped model!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Vac kits are evil, Bob (@v1pro), but it sure looks like you will beat it into submission. You are a braver man than I am to build a vacuform kit. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

• Profile Photo

Thank you, Sprios @fiveten. I am keeping my fingers cross on this one.

• Profile Photo

George (@gblair), yes this one does need a little beating. I just started this build not too long ago and it's already testing my patience, LOL...I feel it will work out in the end and be happy displayed on my shelves with the other built kits.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 1 week ago:

You did a fine job in getting those parts into shape, Bob @v1pro

• Profile Photo

Thank you, John @johnb.