Yak-15 and -17 dual builds.

Started by Bob Torres · 84 · 18 hours ago · 1/72, Yak-15, Yak-17
  • Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

After the fuselage was glued together, I glued the wings and tail planes into place. I glued a thin strip of styrene sheets to over the wing to the body joint.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

Back to the Yak-17 build:

To cover that mess I made on the wing joint, I used the 1/8" wide thin styrene strips cut and glued into place. I used masking tape to hold them in place. As of this writing I am still sanding and blending this area but it is coming along nicely.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

Both are coming together nicely, my friend @v1pro!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

Quite some extra work but it will be worth it in the end, Bob @v1pro
    Great progress.

• Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 3 weeks, 3 days ago:

Thank you, Spiros @fiveten and John @johnb. The Yak-17 build is taking a bit longer than planned but I am really enjoying it very much. I am currently working on the undercarriage assembly. It looks like I have to scratch build the main gear struts. What was vacuformed in the styrene sheet is wrong and I thought I could use the extra gear from the Yak-15 but it is very different. It will also need aileron and rudder trim tabs added which is missing.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

Some job ahead, my friend @v1pro! of course, your skills will produce excellent results!
    Looking forward to see those scratch built landing gear parts!

• Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 2 weeks, 6 days ago:

My first approach on making the Yak-17 undercarriage was to use the kit's vacu-form nose gear and its fairing cover, and with the main gear use an extra set of my Pioneer Model Yak-15 main gear. After researching the Yak-17 main gear I had to drop using the Yak-15 gear and to scratch built it. The main gear is more like a MiG-15/17 main gear. The Yak-15 main gear has a straight strut holding the wheel at the end while the Yak-17 used the torque links to hold the wheel. The wheel is attached to the lower link and the upper link holds it straight. The gear's strut is attached to both links but the rod end of the strut is attach to the lower link to cushion the impact of the landing combined with the lower torque link swing the wheel up and down.

The vacu-form sheet provides the nose gear, it's fairing, the main gears and its doors. But the main gear is for a Yak-15. I did use the pieces for the nose gear assembly and the main gear doors. This is not a good photo that shows what was used from this sheet, sorry about the quality.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Shots of the nose gear assembly build. The fairing was also two pieces cut from the vacu-form sheet. Glued together then filed into shape. This fairing did not want to get trimmed into shape, I was constantly dropping it while filing it. It was laughing at me for most of the time but it is now nervous that it will get glued into place in the near future.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Shots of my main gear assembly build. The shot on the left are the styrene cut pieces from sheets, formed rods from other vacu-form kits, stretch sprue and the wheel comes from a Pioneer Models Yak-15.

The gear doors are from the Yak-17 vacu-form kit. The end result is not exact, but it comes close. Plus this was a big strain to my eyes.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I am pretty happy with how the main gear came out, my next job is the wing tip fuel tanks. I am taking the tanks from my last Yak-23 build that was not used. I have to make the attachment area fit onto the wing properly. I am working on this and hopefully have this done soon. Next Tuesday is our monthly club meeting and hopefully it will be completed for the meeting.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks, 6 days ago:

The main gear did come out really nice, Bob @v1pro
    You clearly won this battle.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 weeks, 6 days ago:

Excellent results on the landing gear, my friend @v1pro!

• Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

Thank you, Spiros @fiveten and John @johnb. I finally had a chance to get some work done to the Yak-17. I used the drop tanks from my previous Yak-23 build. It needed some trimming to where it is attached to the tip of the wing. The tank on the left shows what was reduced to fit properly under the wing tip.

The following shots show the tank glued into place, I also added trim tabs to the ailerons and rudder. I also added the tail navigational light to the rudder under its trim tab and a landing light on the left wing's leading edge.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

Yesterday I started painting the Yak-17. I am using the same craft acrylic paints used on my recent Yak-23 build.

I chose to make this kit in the silver scheme. The instructions says Light Grey but in the Amodel kit, the instructions say silver! In old photos the Yak-17 looks like silver/metal finish but in the recent shots in the museums they are painted light great. After working on airliners for over 40 years, beautiful polished metal panels will fade to a flat grey. When polish is all comes back again. I am going to stay with the silver finish. My aluminum/metal finishes on all of my builds are finished with a flat coat. Doing this gives it a grey look, faded/shading a panel gives it a weather metal look. This Yak-17 will not have faded panel. I will still highlight the panel lines.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

I really admire someone who can build a vacuform model, Bob (@v1pro). I can't even make a vac canopy work, and you have built an entire airplane. Both of these are ready to move to the finish line. Nice work!