Yak-15 and -17 dual builds.

Started by Bob Torres · 84 · 17 hours ago · 1/72, Yak-15, Yak-17
  • Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 2 weeks ago:

Thank you George @gblair. I am enjoying this build, and it is taking a bit longer than I planned but that's okay. It is a unique subject to build. At the moment I am working on the canopy and this one is very thin and delicate. For this build to make the canopy fit right, I will cut the canopy into two pieces, glue the windshield in place and the rest of the canopy can sit lazily in the open position. This way I will not have to worry about making the whole one solid piece fit right.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 weeks ago:

Hi Bob (@v1pro): That's one of the things I could never figure out: How in the world do you cut masks for a canopy that is very fragile. I tried one vac canopy once, and I vowed I would never do another. Now that there is 3D printing, I have an option other than vacs for those unusual planes that mainstream companies won't do.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 weeks ago:

Excellent job, my friend @v1lpro! Great that you added the wing tanks from your previous Yak-23 kit.
    Silver is a wise choice.

• Profile Photo

George @gblair, I do not mask a canopy as fragile as this one. It's already hard enough just to hold it and paint it. The paint is free handed by brush and after it dries I use a toothpick to clean up the edges. Before I cut and trimmed this canopy, it was dipped twice in future floor wax to clear it up and to add a little stiffness. It did work some, still fragile but not as much.

With regards to building vacu-form kits, it is a bit on the crazy side but I really enjoy it. I find that some of the short run kits are just as hard because of all of the corrections, filing and engineering needed to make things fit right or to secure properly. And I do have a lot of vacu-form kits in my stash...

• Profile Photo

Thank you Spiros @fiveten, I just gave it a flat coat and I am glad I stayed with the silver color.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks ago:

Those added drop tanks are really nice, Bob @v1pro
    The silver paintwork looks great as well.

• Profile Photo

Thank you, John @johnb. The gloss and flat coats gave it the look that I was after. And I am glad that I did not use the drop tanks on the Yak-23 build. One of the improvements needed on the earlier Yak-15 was to extend its very short flying time. The Yak-17 was built to carry the tanks to give it an extra 10 to 15 minutes depending on the throttle settings. I wanted this build to represent this improvement.

• Profile Photo

I call the Yak-17 build done! It was a fun build but to be honest not an easy one. Still I enjoyed it and I am pretty happy with the end results. It even looks happy next to the Yak-23. The Yak-23 is definitely a totally new aircraft while the Yak-17 comes from the Yak-3 fighter series. Now to continue work on the Yak-15 and hopefully have it done soon.

Tonight after the model meeting or tomorrow I will post his build in the headlines.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 weeks ago:

Yak-17 looks amazing, Bob (@v1pro). Looking forward to the completion of the next one.

• Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Thank you, George @gblair. Yes I can't wait to get that Yak-15 done and sit right next to the Yak-17 and -23 on the shelf.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Looks fantastic, also at the headlines, my friend @v1pro!

• Profile Photo

Spiros @fiveten, thank you!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Loved the headline article, Bob @v1pro
    Looking forward to the next one.

• Profile Photo

Thank you, John @johnb.

• Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 6 days, 22 hours ago:

After a week break, I am back working on the Yak-15...working on the seams and I used the same styrene strip to work in the wing roots. This a not a great kit, the simplicity takes away what is needed to make this a decent kit to build. The quality reminds me of the old Frog kits from the late 50's. I really enjoyed the vacuform build of the Yak-17. It allowed it to be a more complete build. I do have a vacuform kit of the Yak-15, I wonder if I should have started on that kit instead. Anyways, this one is almost there, I will press on with this build..

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.