Yak-15 and -17 dual builds.

Started by Bob Torres · 84 · 14 hours ago · 1/72, Yak-15, Yak-17
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 days, 20 hours ago:

Excellent job so far on this basic kit, my friend @v1pro!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 days, 18 hours ago:

This is looking good, Bob @v1pro

• Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 5 days, 23 hours ago:

Thank you, Spiros @fiveten and John @johnb. Last night I started applying a coat of prime. Hopefully I have this build done by this weekend.

• Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 21 hours, 31 minutes ago:

I can finally call this build as done! Adding some shots of the model when I was painting it. For this build I decided to hand brush it, first by applying a couple of thin down coats of Tamiya Flat Aluminum. Then I brushed on probably 6 coats of Tamiya flat red that was thinned down a lot. After brushing on a coat of Future, decals were applied from the kit. They were a bit brittle and cracked on me on 3 out of the first 10 decals applied to it. I had to use Micro Scale Decal Maker to minimize further breaking/cracking of the decals.

At the end, a flat coat was applied, the canopy glued into place, cannon barrels, antenna mast, EZ Line for the aerial and painted the navigation lights.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 21 hours, 20 minutes ago:

These are my "I call this done" shots!

To be honest, I should have made the MAKU Yak-15 vacu-form kit or Amodel's 1/72 injected mold kit of their Yak-15. The Pioneer kit is an easy kit to put together but it really lacked a lot of the basic details to make this kit shine. I added some details into the cockpit and tried to make the wing root area look more complete but 1/2 way in this build I gave up on it. Still, I am glad it is done.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 20 hours, 49 minutes ago:

Fantastic result, especially considering how basic this kit is, my friend @v1pro!
    Love that you hand painted it!
    Congratulations!

• Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 19 hours, 14 minutes ago:

Thank you Spiros @fiveten. I hand painted this build because I am involved with a Face Book plastic model group that only displays models that are hand brushed. So I figured I will make this Yak-15 so I can display it in their group.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 16 hours, 58 minutes ago:

Excellent result on both, Bob @v1pro
    Your skills on hand brush are superb, it looks really good.

• Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 14 hours, 47 minutes ago:

Thank you, John @johnb.