48th scale P-39 Air Racer

Started by Jack Mugan · 6 · 11 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jack Mugan said 11 years, 5 months ago:

Once in a while I like to do a plane in a non-military scheme. I have found that there are a lot of decals available for air racers in all three scales, plus quite a bit of aftermarket resin sets to convert military aircraft to racing configurations

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 11 years, 5 months ago:

Is that a typo, Jack...? (P-29 and not -39...as in Aircobra). And please don't ever do one like this...blasphemy!

• Profile Photo

Craig... I do have the markings for that racer, but have't gotten around to doing it as yet. I did do this Mustang however.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 11 years, 5 months ago:

You do...?! I didn't know you could GET those "Jelly Belly" decals. Pleeeeeeeeease don't do that to a Mustang! The one you do have here looks nice. Is that a kit or did you have to fashion a canopy?

• Profile Photo

I found some resin wing tips and canopy parts someplace, and then had a friend make me a bunch of resin copies. I did have to vacuform the clear part though. There are tons of Mustang schemes available plus schemes for many planes that race. I have found a fair amount of reference material as well. Race planes are similar to NASCAR in that they change paint schemes and alter airframes year to year. I belonged to the SIG Bent Throttles for several years but I think it may be gone now.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 11 years, 5 months ago:

I saw Gunther Balz fly the Roto-Finish Special to beat Conquest I at the 1972 Reno Air Races. You got the look very nicely. This is the airplane that went on to become the RB-51.