Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk 22/24!

Started by Magnus Fridsell · 47 · 6 months ago · 1/72, Airfix, Mk 22, Mk 24, Spitfire, Spitfire Mk 22, Spitfire Mk 24
  • Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 6 months, 1 week ago:

@miggers It's always a nice surprise when someone finds an old build thread of mine! I'm glad you like them and when finished, they don't look that different from each other even if I agree with your that the Xtrakit is wildly off. I think it helps that they each have an Airfix prop and Falcon canopies.

How on earth did you make a Mk XVIII out of it? Where did you get the wing from? A 22 is certainly an easier conversion 🙂 !

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo
    Mark Polles(Miggers) said 6 months, 1 week ago:

Erm,IIRC Magnus,it's the Spit 22 fuselage minus the rudder and lower keel other than that it's pure 22 fuselage.The fin
    had the 4" cap extension let in to take the bigger Griffon rudder(there's 3 types plus the 22/24/Spiteful rudder)fitted to the XVIII's and retro fitted to many XIV's.
    I'd bought a Freightdog rudder/fin/rear fuselage,the transport break is just ahead of the tailplanes,so cut the fuselage at that point only to find that the Freightdog fuselage(based on the flawed AZ kits)section is around 2mm oversized to the corresponding fuselage joint on the Airfix fuselage,so I just cut the rudder off and used that.
    The wing is an Academy C wing(very accurate actually) modified to the "Desert" E wing as fitted to the XVIII,the Academy inaccurate radiators were removed and replaced with a pair of Airfix XIX Griffon 65 rads. The tailplanes are again Academy.It's a shame the Academy fuselage is so out of shape,because the wing and tailplanes are pretty accurate for shape and detail. The undercart is Airfix Spit 22 as is the prop.The prop is the only inaccuracy by Airfix for an F.24,it should the 11'10" RoTol R14/F5F. The XIV and XIX used the RoTol R19/F5F at 10' 5",the 21 and 22 used the RoTol R19/F5F/1 at 11' dead. Airfix have it as the R19/F5F at 10'5" . Incidentally the RoTol contra propellers fitted to the F.46 and FR.47 were 10' 5" for the front prop and 10'4" for the rear.

If you go here: https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22594&p=507146&hilit=griffon+growlers#p507146
    you'll find the XVIII at the back of the formation in the first pic(it's the silver one)
    Go to the second pic and you'll find the FR.47 conversion at the back of the formation.

All the best.