My last prop adventure...

Started by Brandon Stewart · 5 · 11 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Brandon Stewart said 11 years, 5 months ago:

Thought I would test out the site. So here is my last completed prop build. It is the 1/48 scale Tamiya A-1 Skyraider. It is a very nice kit, and goes together wonderfuly.

Thanks for looking,
    Brandon

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jack Mugan said 11 years, 5 months ago:

Brandon... Great job on the Skyraider and nice photos too. Nice to see it loaded and ready to go.

• Profile Photo
    Rodger Kelly said 11 years, 5 months ago:

G'day Brandon. Yery nice sir!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 11 years, 5 months ago:

It's not dirty enough! Seriously, the Skyraider is the one airplane where "too much is not enough." You want to airbrush really biiiiig streaks, then go back over them with thinned Tamiya smoke and let it "drip" down the side. The centerline tank should have so much oil on the front upper end that you'd be afraid to touch it. The R-3350 is one dirty engine. If you go over to Modeling Madness and look up my review of the Z-M kit here:

http://modelingmadness.com/review/viet/tc/tmca1.htm

You will see what I mean. This was done from photos of this airplane. You can go over to skyraider.org and see airplanes that make this look clean. I remember seeing them when I went aboard the Coral Sea one time back in 1964, and it was amazing how in the nice Clean Navy, those Skyraiders looked so godawful.

Like I said, an easy continuation of what you've done with this otherwise-excellent model. It's the one exception to "less is more" when doing weathering.

• Profile Photo
    Brandon Stewart said 11 years, 5 months ago:

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the input. I have to agree with you about Skyraiders being dirty, and filthy. Being a lover of weathered planes I would have loved to do it up like that, and I am sure it was probably pretty dirty the day it got the kill. However the only two reference photos I have of this paticular plane show it to be relatively clean for a Skyraider. So I just mdeled it like the phots show. Actually I made it a little more dirtier than the pic show, because I knew it probably got that way shortly after the picture. I go out and work the flightdeck on Carriers about 6-8 times a year, and have to say that the planes get pretty dirty out there. Actually dirty is an under statement... Filthy is more like it. That is one of the reasons why I like to model Navy planes, the other being that I work around them all of the time. Here is one of the photos I was refering to. The other is on my old computer, which is in the attic at the moment.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.