1/72 Academy German Kubelwagen

Started by Tom Bebout · 16 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Trying to rearrange my stash today and thought this would be a nice addition to the KP Group Build. Not a lot of parts, however ,they certainly are tiny, I should be able to knock this out in record time. Not my usual scale but it looks fun. Stand by for news.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Yeah. I built that kit before. Went together like a charm and in this scale fits into a matchbox! I still have it in my home office! Go for it Tom!

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Great additions! Thank you, Tom!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Good for you, Tom. We're getting lots of interest in things that hug the ground.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Does the kit include all 3 of those vehicles? If so, it's probably a bargain.

• Profile Photo

All three are inside and a tiny scale for me. But wait their's more, also included are several fuel drums, Jerry cans and some boxes.

• Profile Photo

As Michel stated the fit on this Kubelwagen is quite good and it's going together very fast. No issues so far other than how to paint something so small. The interior I've brushed painted with Model Master RLM 74, figured it was close enough at that scale to represent the real thing.

• Profile Photo

Little more work on the Kubelwagen last evening as she got a coat of paint for the body. Used Tamiya AS-15 Tan from a rattle can. Color wise it looked close enough to me for the desert. Didn't want to go to the expense of buying additional paint, which I probably would never use again, for this little miniature.

The rest of the parts will be hand painted and attached, I chose to have the top displayed down, and did add the spare tire last evening. So far so good, and did I mention this thing is tiny?

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Tom, that really looks the part. Did you use your jewelers loupe? I'd like to see this posed next to something I know the size of, 'cause it looks real small to me. The curse of bifocals! Optivisor, here I come!

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 1 month ago:

That is a great little gem, Tom. Would stand great next to my Stuka.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

If I tried to build something this small I would need a jewelers loupe ! I don't know how you guys can build things so tiny. But you do, and you do a great job of it I should add... Well done Tom !

• Profile Photo

Pretty well done, have to add the windshield, decals, do a little more wash and then hit it with a a dull overcoat. Then we'll post the finished pics.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years, 1 month ago:

How nice, looks almost like the real convertible! Watch the decals as they are tiny...

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Tom, great work, especially so small. I was hoping for one of those guys!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Tom, thanks! I know what a bottle of paint looks like, compared to the small kubelwagen.