1/48 Amtech P-40 L ”Lighthouse Louie” 325th FG Tunisia

Started by Louis Gardner · 111 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 3 months ago:

This is turning out to be a work of art Louis, you are making a fine job of it! It certainly seems the Doc got the call on the meds right!

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Louis, this is simply fabulous stuff, and really encouraging! Work of art is right!

Feel better, buddy.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Louis, hope you're feeling better! Didja buy a car at the auction? Inquiring minds, etc. Dana Bell had a book(?) on non-ANA colors, which I haven't seen. With my luck, it's probably out of print. Fascinating subject, in itself. Like the Ditzler for car painting. How many shades of black? WHAT? Learned something in the paint shop that day!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 3 months ago:

That's going to be one good looking P-40 when you're finished Louis. Try a hot tottie for the flu/cold Louis, works for me. Even if they don't work after several totties you really don't care.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Today I am feeling a little better. That's a good thing.

Thanks Paul and David for the compliments. As far as a work of art that may be pushing the envelope just a tad. There are far better builders and painters than I. But I'll take it ! 🙂 Thanks guys.

Hey Bernard. I found a picture of alleged DuPont color chips online. They list some of the colors used by Curtiss and it looks pretty legit with the lettering and all beneath the colors. Funny you should mention Ditzler paint. The lettering beneath the color chips sort of reminds me of the old Ditzler Automotive paint chips. ( but more like the old DuPont Automotive paint books).

No I didn't buy a car at the auction. I did fall in love with a B-5 Blue 1970 Plymouth Hemi 'Cuda with a "Shaker" hood. But I still have not won the lottery yet ...

I left with a new T-shirt. And a nasty case of bronchitis. 😉

Yes Tom, a good old hot toddy would work right about now. But I want to work on the P-40 some more,
    and would probably fall asleep afterwards.

Thanks again everyone for the well wishes and compliments. I sincerely appreciate this.

• Profile Photo

I didn't manage to put some stickers on Light House Louie.

Here's the nose art.

Followed by a picture of the plane as it looks at the moment.

Hopefully this one will be wrapped up soon.

Calling it a night.

Maybe...

As usual comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Awesome, Louis! I've just finished "binge reading" this one from the beginning to now. Exhaustive, but well worth the time!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Jeff for taking the time to read all of this. I appreciate that my friend.

Today I installed the landing gear. The P-40 is sitting pretty on its own now.

I also added the propeller and painted the wing mounted.050 caliber weapons.

There are some more small stuff that needs to be added but I think it's on the home stretch now.

That big chunk of resin as a nose definitely strains the landing gear.

As usual comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Great one Louis! Good you're getting better already! Kudos.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Hi Louis. I love the soft edge on that camouflage, looks fantastic and the colours are perfect. Are you going to keep her in showroom condition? I've seen a couple of 'off the assembly line' builds recently that have been amazing.

This is one beautiful kitty.

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys for the kind words. I'm still feeling sick, just not nearly as bad as I was.

David, no this one will have some weathering done to it and a little dirtying up is in order. Some of those show room new builds do look rather nice...

Hopefully later today I can get some more work done on Light House Louie now that the Hasegawa Hellcats are finished up.

Please stay tuned for further updates...

• Profile Photo

This one is just about finished now...

Earlier today I masked off the clear parts... again. Due to the change in colors the canopy no longer matched the surrounding camouflage. So I had to re spray the frames in RAF Middlestone.

Here in this picture below, you can see that I have already started removing the masking...

The cockpit was given a final bit of touch up paint...

and the exhausts were installed. This involved a lot of trim and cutting work on the kit provided plastic parts. Rather than install the exhaust stacks one by one as the instructions would have you do, I left them complete. I sanded down the backing to almost a paper thin thickness. Then I cut them apart, but left two stacks connected per set. These were much easier to install than individual pipes...

By now the paint had dried on the canopy, so I removed the remaining masking.

and proceeded to glue them in place, along with the pitot tube and the antennae mast.

Then a little more painting was in order on the newly installed bits...

Here's how "Light House Louie" looks at the moment...

A little more weathering details will be done to it, some exhaust staining, antennae cable, and it's completed.

As usual,
    comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Louis, I found out the origin of the name on this airplane, In Ken Wests book on the squadron, The pilot shot up a lighthouse , I think on Cape Bon, whilst on a mission, Thus, the name. I always wondered...

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the information Bernard. I have been curious about the name too. You answered my questions.

Hopefully tonight I'll have this one wrapped up. I'll post a few pictures of it if I can.

• Profile Photo

Light House Louie is done !

The next time you see him will be at the reveal...

Thanks for following me along on this journey.

As usual, comments are encouraged.

Take care.