”Rommel’s Taxi”

Started by Paul Barber · 151 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years ago:

That's the attraction on this aircraft, the flappery, and the stalkish overall look. Land in a confined place, take off after a short run. Hanna Reisch flew the last head of the Luftwaffe into Berlin in one, landing in the Tiergarten as the Russians closed in on the Fuehrerbunker. Her passenger was wounded en route as every Russian on the way took a shot at them. Ritter von Griem. She flew him back out in a different aircraft. quite a story!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years ago:

Hi Bernard - The Storch surely does turn up in all sorts of places - Rommel flew a number of these, Mussolini was rescued from captivity in one prior to reconvening his leadership in the North of Italy, and Hannah Reitsch as you said, tried to convince Hitler to leave Berlin, having daringly landed one close to the bunker. They are such elegant and unassuming planes and certainly have a place in history! The Tamiya kit offers a couple of Rommel's planes and the one used to rescue Mussolini.

• Profile Photo

A brief update. This feels like a build that involves preparing a number of delicate parts before the main construction really takes off. I have a little more masking of clear parts to do, but generally the small parts - including the addition of the photo-etched parts is getting there.

Some more internal masking, and attaching small parts.

Photo etched parts primed using Mr Hobby metal primer (decanted from the rattle can and painted on after realising 'straight from the can' was difficult on small parts). Then general priming (over the metal primer) using Vallejo black surface primer.

Then a coat of interior grey, the joystick, and some dry brushing in 'lead belcher' by citadel and some painting of the worn leather seats to begin the cockpit.

I am now also trying to develop my figure painting - but more on that later.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years ago:

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din...

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years ago:

I have no idea how I missed this, Paul, but I guess it's better late than never. What a great build posting; just read through the whole thing and really enjoyed it. Everything about it is top notch, from the informative background, to the 'A-listers' commenting, through to the Storch herself. Great modeling.

Fantastic job, looks like you are in this for the long haul...I'll be keeping tuned in.

• Profile Photo

I'm painfully slow at modelling most of the time David(s), and I deal very much in stolen bursts - I am hoping this falls together once I get past the 'greenhouse' of a cockpit and the delicate detail. Thanks for the encouragement, both, it has felt very much like a team effort, as you say!

• Profile Photo

Some more progress - rain caused cancellation of practice for the Soccer team I coach - so a genuine example of clouds and silver linings!

Some etch and wash into the sides of the cockpit.

Seatbelts in place (Eduard etch and cloth).

Fuel tank washed - detail painted.

IP etch added and constructed - the top of the Tamiya bottle will give an idea of scale!

• Profile Photo

Managed a little more as the rain continued!

Fuselage halves went together. The whole of the floor of the fuselage 'inserts', along with the office.

The halves are held apart by spacers.

The pedestal for the pilot's seat, and the IP are also used to space the halves correctly - fitting is very exact here - but pretty much perfect with care.

The fuel tank can then fit into place and acts as another spacer. The macro lens again highlights some areas to touch up!

Final cockpit supports added before insertion and joining of the 'floor' to the fuselage

The metal strut to support the wings is fitted next - and it is beginning to look like a plane!

Pilot's seat fixed onto pedestal - seen through door opening, which will be built 'open'.

Next a pause for breath and a little touching up - and perhaps a tiny smidgeon of Mr surfacer on the top just behind the 'canopy' (might only need a very fine grit rub and polish - will see).

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years ago:

Excellent work Paul, that little guy is really looking good.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 12 months ago:

Whew - I'm glad to finally see this as an airplane - for the longest time I thought it was 2 seats on a surf board, sitting next to a tanning booth, as a diorama! Looking fantastic, especially now that I can tell what it is!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 12 months ago:

Thank you, Tom and Greg.

Greg, your surf board diorama image made me laugh out loud! It goes together unlike anything I have built before but it is a decent fit - the engineering is Tamiya+ I'd say - I think they went the extra yard with it being release #100.

• Profile Photo

I have been thinking about how to present The Storch as I am getting closer to the finish line.

So I decided to build motorbike to keep it company. In truth I was buying some paint online and saw the bike for $17 (Australian) - That's £9 or $12 (US). It was Tamiya and provided an option to build a German Bike as used by the 5th Parachute Regiment in Tunisia in 1943. Retail therapy complete, I decided to build it quickly as I have lot to keep me busy these days! I think it'll be a 48 hour turn-around - it has about 25 parts all in, and some tiny decals.

Preparing the small parts of the bike for paint

Primed (Vallejo Black)

Some rough painting - to be touched up after construction

Side-car taking shape

Motor-bike getting close to done

I will add decals and some dusty weathering tomorrow morning and call this done.

Through the night I'd had a base (plaster) setting and today added a coat of Tamiya 'Grit Effect' textured paint - 'light sand' to make it look like 'a desert'! Don't know exactly where this is going yet, but I have a bike (almost) and a base to play with!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 12 months ago:

That's a fantastic looking bike there. I love the way this build is developing, Paul - not being quite sure how it'll end definitely adds something to the thread. The base looks great also and I'm left really looking forward to the next 'episode'.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 12 months ago:

What a great addition Paul, really looking forward to seeing the outcome.

• Profile Photo

The Gloss-coat dried in the areas getting decals - so I added them and 'dirtied' the bike up a little. Will touch this up a little on the leather bags - but I reckon apart from that it is done. I've added some Tamiya oil drums to show size - the bike is 50mm in length.