”Rommel’s Taxi”

Started by Paul Barber · 151 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 12 months ago:

Nice addition to the project (but where the wings..?)

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 12 months ago:

Ok Greg! Done with my phone so apologies! Here are the wings (your wish, my command etc.). Dry- fitted to show the shape of the plane! Really nice the way they fit onto the metal support. However need to mask the rest of the canopy parts (my favourite occupation, not...) before I can connect the wings properly!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 5 years, 12 months ago:

Nice BMW combination! Do they give you figures with it? Ramke's unit? I hear tell that after the war, he refused to recognize allied officers, saying he was still at war with them. Hardcore guy!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 12 months ago:

There are figures Bernard - my figure painting is going to be pretty limited in quantity (and quality) during this project! - I have three figures in mind but not those with this kit; they are set as if riding at high speed in attack mode!

It is a good question about Ramcke! He was very much a model Nazi, and his famous breakout from the blockade by the British during the third battle of El Alamein is about as stubborn a bit a fighting as was witnessed. There are stories on units being considered 'gone' and reappearing during WW2 - the Ramcke story is amazing. Fanatical indeed.

I know the 1st and 3rd Battalions of the 5th Parachute Regiment were flown into Tunisia to protect airfields and to defend Koch during Operation Torch. The Tamiya kit refers to the 5th, which were not Ramcke's troops - although he was in charge of the 'Parachute Brigade' which might have given him some over-arching command. Ramacke's unit probably fought with the 1st Italian Army at Mareth (Southern Tunisia) in March 1943 - when Patton reversed the fortunes of US forces from Kasserine and won the first tank battle against Axis forces during the Battle of El Guettar, and during the retreat and eventual withdrawal/surrender in May.

So I know both were in the vicinity at the time but will need to do a little more detective work to get the story straight before writing a description when this is all done!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 12 months ago:

Now this is getting really good ! Not only have you built a fantastic base for the Stork, now we have added a Zundapp or a BMW with a side car ? Fantastic Paul !
    You need to get rained out a little more often... 🙂

Well done my friend.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Paul, I am truly impressed with the comprehensive delicacy of this build, and the care you have taken every step of the way--indeed, the only way such a work can be done properly. I'm thrilled to see this as a diorama, and the bike with the sidecar is an excellent touch. Great work and a true jewel in the crown of the KP GB!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 11 months ago:

This is really going to be special. Can't wait, bring on the rain!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Interesting reading, there. Like you couldn't make your mind up between cosmology or physics - which won in the end?

That side car is gorgeous! I am going to love this dio - whatever you do with it.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Physics including astronomy/cosmology was by necessity. Such is the shortage of people to teach it. Although over time it became my favourite subject to teach.

These two show what really ‘won’!

• Profile Photo

Jewels and Crowns might be a stretch! If it is a ‘dio’ as opposed to a base+ it’ll be a simple one and my first!

• Profile Photo

Here is another ‘minor’ update. The metal undercarriage strut, which is held in place by the front part of the canopy is in place - as are more of the internal cockpit support structures. The engine fit seems very good too.

• Profile Photo

With those parts dry time to attach the wings

The wings slide into the metal strut and are glued to the side of the plane.

The top of the canopy then snaps into place to complete the assembly.
    I am beginning to see that the order of assembling and painting small parts is going to need some care...

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

The eyes be damned, Paul; show me someone's book collection and I'll tell you about their soul.

• Profile Photo

I'm at peace with it, David - it is a risk I knew I might be running.

Although half a glimpse of one of my wife's shelves crept in. I won't take responsibility for Philip Pullman!

• Profile Photo

Here’s another small update. The outside of the canopy painted in the interior colour to appear as ‘painted inside’ once unmasking occurs. Did this today in case I am able to prime the rest tomorrow.