The road to Damascus. Or possibly Kasserine…

Started by david leigh-smith · 326 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years ago:

Wednesday evening and I'm glad to say my daughter and I both contributed to the Kasserine build. There is little better than involving one's children in your psychotic pastimes. My girl, Indi, and I made this base...

--- pic1 not found ---

And here's poor Joe, getting ever closer to the denouement of this diorama...

--- pic2 not found ---

• Profile Photo

Wednesday evening and I'm glad to say my daughter and I both contributed to the Kasserine build. There is little better than involving one's children in your psychotic pastimes. My girl, Indi, and I made this base...

And here's poor Joe, getting ever closer to the denouement of this diorama...

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years ago:

That is so cool! Great work, David! I love the slightly irregular base rather than a simple rectangular treatment. Somehow it lends itself to the idea of a naturalistic surrounding.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years ago:

That is a good looking base!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years ago:

It's the kind of base where a camel feels at home younno! Well done!

• Profile Photo

Morning, David (well, it is here). Thanks for the comment, which I liked as I was really trying for a natural look to this diorama, something suggesting a rugged feel. Any of the 'geology gestapo' fraternity could literally ride a tank through the veracity of my placement of rock and mineral, but I had fun.

• Profile Photo

Cheers, Bernard. I appreciate the support. Another learning curve for me and it was lovely getting my daughter involved in this ridiculous pastime.

• Profile Photo

Thank you, Michel. Coming from the master of bases that is high praise.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 12 months ago:

Introducing Vincent, artist, voracious reader, consummate loner, and the driver of our Tiger. The only son of a Bavarian architect and Berliner night club singer, he joined the Nazi Party in '37 as a teenager and is faithful to the Fuhrer, overly serious, and generally finds it very hard to relax. As you can probably tell from his photo...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 12 months ago:

It's been a while since I have posted anything on your journey back in time...
    I am very impressed with how your display base looks. Excellent work indeed. 🙂 You and your daughter should be very pleased with the results. It's nice to see the younger generation getting involved, and even better spending quality time with your children.

The Tiger crew grows by one... Hello Vincent.
    Looking forward to the next installment.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Louis. The sad news is that I gave all the crew the 'Acid Bath' treatment as they were just not working out as I wanted. It wasn't perfectionism, just the desire to improve.

Anyone who does figures to a good standard says it takes time to find a 'style' and I don't have enough time at the bench to go through this process so I've been putting in some intense trial and error sessions to short cut the 'evolution' process.

I'm hoping to post the results later this weekend. I'm much happier with the work now but still experimenting.

Vincent would say "hi" but he's not the type...

I hope you are well and healthy - and hope that 'life' thing is working out and you get some modeling time, Louis.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 12 months ago:

I'm so glad your daughter got into the spirit. I'd imagine it is fairly contagious in your house! It is a fine looking base.

Vincent looks like he could be a key player in the 'Geology Gestapo' - you can really see his teeth are 'gritted' and his fists are clenched. By the demonic look in his eye, he's either spotted some erroneous gypsum or a miscreant ungulate...

• Profile Photo

Ah, Paul - you are uncannily correct in your reading of Vincent (never 'Vince'). I'm very pleased you can sense the tension in the poor man, as will be shown soon, your reading is right on the money.

Thanks for the post, Paul. Loved the Pony you posted earlier!

• Profile Photo

Here's an outdoor shot. And let me tell you, an outdoor shot in London is a rare and wondrous thing.

I've attached the tracks and put a coat of clear on the Tiger, all the better to weather her with. Rookie airplane guy mistake, I realised too late that one should NOT, under any circumstances, attach a Tiger tank's skirts before putting on the tracks.

• Profile Photo
    Gary Wiley said 5 years, 12 months ago:

Very interesting thread. I can’t believe I read the whole thing today. 🙂 I’ve learned many things about Tigers, camels and spiders, and even a little genealogy. Which makes me wonder if Erich Harmann’s dog and mine might be related. 🙂
    Meet Fred...

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.