B-17 - group build!

Started by capt. R · 741 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Great work on the propellors, Bernard @lis

• Profile Photo

Some parts of this kit, like the tail section, do have quite some flash. Removing it is not too difficult.

Parts for the ball turret, upper turret and tail section are in preperation.
    The masks that I purchased were not for this variant of upper turret, so I had to make my own.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Great progress, my friend @johnb! Some extra masking job indeed.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thanks, Spiros. Took some additional time, especially in 1/72

• Profile Photo

Thanks Yann @yann for the warning on the ammo boxes and their bullet chains. They do indeed absolutelly not fit with this aircraft, not sure what Revell has done here, but it surely needs a bit of work to make them look acceptable.

I did remove parts of the bullet chain and mounted the boxes without the alignment pins.

The waist transparency is not the exact one as on the Sally-B and did not have an opening for the machineguns, I did drill a small opening in the transparency of 1.2mm to be able to have the machineguns facing outside.

Also the ball turret mechanism is mounted and can still freely move.

And work on the tail gunner position is done as well.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Looks great, John (@johnb). Masking turrets is the worst. It is difficult even with pre-made masks. The bullet tracks in the waist would work if the gunner was standing on the ceiling, but I don't think that would work. This interior work with all of the gun and turret positions is one of the things that makes these bombers so complicated.

• Profile Photo

@gblair, thank you, George. I'm just wondering what the Revell engineer was doing while drawing these bullet tracks.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Great interior! I really like IT!
    PS. Masking is done!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

You are doing an excellent work in your interior, my friend @johnb! Already looking superb, only hoping to be well visible upon closing the fuselage, or, at least, you will know the details "are there".

• Profile Photo

That's A LOT of masking, my friend @lis,!
    Looking good!

• Profile Photo

@lis, thank you, Bernard.
    @fiveten, thanks, Spiros. A pity indeed that nice work will barely be visible, but on the other hand, misstakes will be hidden as well.

• Profile Photo

Quite some tape used, Bernard @lis.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 7 months ago:

@johnb In My B-17 F this transparent part need to be opend to open fire with 50 cal mg. Similar as in B-24.

• Profile Photo

@lis, you are correct, Bernard. The 17F had open windows. Sally-B was a 17G with the .50s having an opening in the window. My Revell kit is a 17F, so I have chosen to fix the windows and create a hole for the machine guns. Not exactly the same but close.

• Profile Photo
    Yann Bertholet said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Really nice progress John @johnb. As far I remember, on the 9 o 9, I used the ammo box from the ball turret to fix them for the waist gunner.
    In the mean time I applied a Klir coat on the belle, actually 3 coats.

Then I started the decal on the upper surface:

I'm pretty happy with the Klir coat the camo is more visible.

Thanks for passing by.