B-17 - group build!

Started by capt. R · 741 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 10 months ago:

It's my gift on father's day. I bough for this build some crew, and extra masks for anti-glare panels.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 10 months ago:

What an amazing Father's day gift, Bernard @lis
    Seems like you are really into bombers lately.
    I do have an F variant (Revell) waiting in the stash. After the Wellington I'm eager to get that Fortress started as well.
    Looking forward to see yours progressing.

• Profile Photo

@johnb We can make really good group build!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 10 months ago:

What a great entry, my friend @lis!
    If you decide for a combo build with our friend @johnb, can I join with a 1/48 Monogram?

• Profile Photo

Thanks a lot for the invitation, Bernard @lis

I'm really honored to be able to build together with you. I will definitely learn from you.

Mine will be the "Memphis Belle", not very original but the reason is that when I visited the Duxford Flying Legends in 2019 together with my dad, the Memphis Belle was there also and gave an amazing show. I was really impressed to be so close to an air worthy Flying Fortress.

So this build will be a remembrance to this visit and fantastic day I had with my dad.

9 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten Of course! It will be great build!
    @johnb memfis Belle will be great plane! I'm not sure what I choose. I'm thinking about Ikky Poo, Worry Bird, and Super Rabbit. Main theme I think will be operation Frantic.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 1 year, 10 months ago:

@lis, I wish I had one to build along, but alas, I have nothing to offer at the moment. I built the Monogram kit as a kid, so this should be a nice little GB to follow along with, regardless.

John @johnb, let me know if you need to give me an excuse to make a short trip to get some pics of this or that detail on the real aircraft (only what can be seen on display of course 😉 ). I may be going to the museum next week some time, so just let me know!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 10 months ago:

I think you will really enjoy the Airfix B-17, Bernard (@lis). I also sometimes get in a cycle where I want to build just bombers, usually as a result of reading a book or a reading a magazine story about bombers or their crew. Looking forward to building my B-17 ferret in parallel with your group build.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for letting me join your group build, my friend @lis! It will be so great to build together with our friend @johnb! A true honor!
    This is my kit...

...and I am leaning towards finishing as the "Meat Hound"...
    More to come!

• Profile Photo

@pb_legend, those are great pictures, Andrew. I was not aware that she is currently on display. In Duxford I had only one day to see all the aircraft in the museum and the airshow, which is basically to short to see all of it in display. Any detail picture would be more than welcome, Andrew.

@fiveten, great choice, Spiros. Exactly the same Revell box art as the 1/72 variant which I will be building. Over 65cm of wingspan, that is big.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb! It is big indeed!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Well, I think this might give me the push to pull out the 1/48 H-K B-17G I have here and do "Little Miss Mischief", since I have collected all the aftermarket I could find, including a Squadron vacuform B-17 nose cap (now that Squadron vac canopies are back) that will allow someone to actually see inside the nose.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Wow, that sounds amazing, my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo

@pb_legend You are always welcome here!

@tcinla It will be great when you join our group!

@gblair Feel free to write in the group thread, or maybe you would like the administrator to merge your thread too?

I'm thinkink about this plane:

https://100thbg.com/index.php?option=com_bombgrp&view=aircraft&id=10027&Itemid=326

https://www.americanairmuseum.com/aircraft/5889

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

For good start! Primed crew. Because of my model was a gift I decided to buy extra parts to spend some money 😉 I bought some crew from Productions Legends Brand from South Corea. Four figures cost me 27$ - so it was expensive kit. Rest of the crew I will buy from CMK as stand figures on display. One figure from Productions Legends cost as there figures from CMK from Czech Rep.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.