B-17 - group build!

Started by capt. R · 741 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 7 months ago:

@yann Great Progress! Will you mounted engines after painting?

• Profile Photo

First part of Mr Finish surfacer. After drying I will paint undersurfaces. I will tell you, my friends, that this model exhausted me very much, it is not supposed to be complicated, but I have never felt so many emotions in any other model.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Great progress and superb looks, my friend @yann!
    Better leave the clear parts as they are: they look good and, most probably, working on them will do more harm than good.

• Profile Photo

Mr Surfacer looks great on, my friend @lis!
    I can see you have become very emotionally connected with your B-17!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

You made some great progress, Yann @yann. I agree with Spiros @fiveten on the clear parts. Trying to solve the problem will likely introduce more issues.

• Profile Photo

She is getting together real nice, Bernard @lis. In the end you will be rewarded with a great Fortress.

• Profile Photo

Some preshiding.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Yann (@yann): The exterior paint looks perfect. You are getting close to decals and the finish line.

Bernard (@lis): I found that building bombers can be a trial simply because there are more parts to deal with. When I was building my B-17, there were days that I just didn't want to work on the model. Once you get to the paint, you are in the part of the build where everything starts moving more smoothly.

• Profile Photo

Nice preshading, my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo

Very nice pre-shading indeed, Bernard @lis. I really need to speed up the work on my Fortress as well to keep up with you.

• Profile Photo

The Sperry ball turret is slowly getting together. When both halves are fixed, there is unfortunately an edge present which has to be removed. Carefully ofcourse to not scratch the glass. It seems like two different variants of Sperry ball turrets were used, one with quite some glass on the side and one without. The one used on the Sally B seemed to be latter. The turret provided by Revell is luckily the one as used on Sally B. Next is to get the big edge removed from the ball.

The second and third picture are taken at Duxford.

• Profile Photo
    Yann Bertholet said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Hello John @johnb you handled this ball turret very nicely. You are right about the different type of Sperry turret somme have glass on the side and some not. I think even that some have a special cover on the side which make them looks like a real ball. The same applied with the Bendix Top turret.

• Profile Photo

The ball turret looks great, my friend @johnb!
    Great research, as well! Did not know about the two types of turrets.

• Profile Photo

@yann, thanks, Yann. Also for the top turret different variants do exist. I still need to check which one was used for Sally B.
    @fiveten, thank you, Spiros. Was not aware of that either. This is a nice side effect of modelling, learning about the model you are working on.

• Profile Photo

Props are ready.

PS. I have complete markings for B-17G "My Baby" from Kits-World, which were left after my previous project. If any of my colleagues would need a B-17 for their model, I can send them by post.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.