B-17 - group build!

Started by capt. R · 741 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Felix said 1 year, 5 months ago:

John @johnb , the preshading looks very neat, especially the underside. Curious to see what it will look like with another layer. Aren't those yellow propeller tips always a pain in the a..?

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

@fxrob, thank you, Felix. Those yellow tips are not my favorite part, especially not with a four engined aircraft.

• Profile Photo

First round of OD is on

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Looks awesome, John (@johnb). The pre-shading and later layers are looking better and better.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Looks amazing indeed, my friend @johmb!

• Profile Photo

@gblair, @fiveten, thank you, George and Spiros. Will check on my reference pictures of Sally B how much the OD needs to be darkened more.

• Profile Photo

Final round of OD and painted the fabric parts in a slightly lighter OD mixture.
    From personal point of view it doesn't look that bad but any thoughts about the looks are appreciated.

• Profile Photo

And this is how she looks with the masks off, except the transparancy masking.
    De-icer boots do look okay to me.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Looking really nice, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thanks a lot, Spiros

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year, 5 months ago:

John this is subjective. Perhaps the leading edge near the De-icer boots could be lighter shade of O.D.. Its your model. Other than that comment your, efforts are showing this modeler how to a B-17 the proper way. Show a man how to fish theme.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 5 months ago:

I think it looks fine, John (@johnb). I like how your pre-shading and finish came out. I hate de-icing boots. I would be glad not to add them at all, but yours look fine. A few exhaust stains and decals and it will be complete.

• Profile Photo

@stephen-w-towle, thank you for the feedback, Stephen
    @gblair, thanks a lot, George. So far I'm pretty happy with how the looks, except the nose which still bothers me a bit. Let's see how she will look like once the masks are fully removed.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year, 5 months ago:

John, if your happy with how it looks that's all that matters.

• Profile Photo

@stephen-w-towle, trying to replicate Sally B as much as I remembered her in 2019.
    There the fabric parts appeared slightly brighter.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.