B-17 - group build!

Started by capt. R · 741 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year, 5 months ago:

B-17s during the war would have lighter colored fabric control surfaces. Sally B being a Warbird and national treasure would have annual check ups and servicing. More than likely, the elevators were inspected and given a newer coat of paint and dope. Therefore, the color difference. If your doing Sally B in 2019 the elevators look more of a RAF green than the rest of A/C. The signature parts/colors of Sally B. is that yellow checker cowling and your concerns for the nose could be addressed. As far the design of the kit, the side panels or the inserts are the Achilles heal. Getting all of the windows to be clear, smart and clean is a chore. Why Airfix and Revell chose to include them detracts from them. I always think of my builds as being organic that grow and change as new information is learned or they stop after I've had enough. George is correct in saying De-icer boots are a PITA. Over all John your well on your way to bringing out the best in this kit.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 5 months ago:

@johnb Great work with painting!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

@lis, thanks a lot, Bernard

• Profile Photo

@stephen-w-towle, thanks for the information, Stephen.

It will be very difficult to make an exact copy of Sally B since most of the windows provided by Revell are not on the correct location as what I have seen on the original aircraft, nevertheless I will do my best to make it look as close as possible.

The nose construction is indeed not that easy and is mainly caused by those transparant side panels, could be me as well making it myself difficult.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year, 5 months ago:

"The nose construction . . . could be me as well making it myself difficult."

John,
    I firmly belong to that club called "Making it . . .difficult." 🙂

• Profile Photo

Some work done on the bottom side.
    Flaps mounted in the lowered position and bombbay doors in opened position.
    Main landing gear and tail wheel gear mounted as well.
    All fits nicely.

Dry fitted the wheels to see how she looks like while standing on her 'feet'.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Great progress, my friend @johnb!
    And great looks!
    I bet you cannot wait to glue those wheels permanently!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thanks, Spiros. Indeed, should be able to get that done this weekend.

• Profile Photo

Turbo chargers painted and mounted.

Started the apply the decals, first at the bottom to see if they work well, in case of failure it will not be that visible on the bottomside. The decals from kits-world do work perfect. Some decal softener is likely needed to get them to follow the panel lines.

Now the decals seem to work well, I continued with he star on the top side.

And after finally having all the propellor tips painted yellow, the stencils, from the Revell sheet, are applied.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Looking amazing so far, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Those propellers look great with all the tiny decals.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thanks, Spiros

• Profile Photo

@airbum, thanks a lot, Erik. Revell made it a bit earier to have just one decal per blade.

• Profile Photo

Although quite some time was spent, not to much progress can be seen.
    A lot of stencils have been added to the lower surface of the Fortress.
    Just a couple more left and I will start with the bigger decals.
    Idea is to start with the large right inner engine cowl decal.
    If this fails, I can still decide to make it a different one instead of Sally B, but fingers crossed.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Very good job with overall paiting and stencils!