B-24 D 98 BG Operation Tidal Wave

Started by capt. R · 122 · 3 days ago
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Hello my Friends! While waiting for better weather, I started another project. I was wondering for a long time what paint scheme to choose for my next Liberator, but after watching a video on YT about Operation Tidal Wave, I decided on the 9th Air Army plane. At the very beginning, I lost a part - the steering wheel. So I had to use the old PE Eduard kit. The set also included a PE IP panel, but it didn't fit very well. I had to adjust it to the size of the parts from the set. I also bought resin barrels that improve the appearance of factory machine guns.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Another excellent entry, my friend @lis! Great extras!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Great entry, Bernard @lis
    This is going to be another great looking heavy bomber.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Still waiting for pilots and control wheel.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Good to see another B-24 build here @lis. There is so many options and interesting aircraft to build from Operation Tidal Wave. It was the reading of the story and history of this famous mission that was a big influence on my building and still is to this day. I love the B-24 and will enjoy following this build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Cockpit looks great so far, my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 month, 1 week ago:

@luftwaffe-birdman

I purchase decal set from 98BG, and I think I will make "The Squaw". I'm not sure about ball turret. I think this D version has single MGs under belly in open position..

@fiveten

@johnb

Thank You! I hope it will be a fun build.

• Profile Photo

Good choice, @lis, you can cover the in theater version. I built the war bond version. I like Sleepy on the side...it will look great.

• Profile Photo

@luftwaffe-birdman
    Sleepy, and The Squaw picture were exist togeather in the same time or only The Squaw during Tidal Wave?

<iframe title="Flying Through Hell to Bomb Hitler's Oil | "Ploesti" the Documentary" width="500" height="281" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/g3vpX98-5u4?feature=oembed&quot; frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen>

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 1 week ago:

The interior looks great already, Bernard @lis
    My preference goes to Sleepy as well.

• Profile Photo

Well @lis, according to what I found, the original artwork for "The Squaw" was what was originally painted onto the aircraft. In the spring of 1943 the squadron added the Disney Snow White characters. Since "Operation Tidal Wave" was on August 1, 1943 the plane had both sides of the nose with artwork.

• Profile Photo

@luftwaffe-birdman
    Great! It will be nice painting!
    @fiveten
    @johnb
    PS. I made suspender for front wheel.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 1 month, 1 week ago:

"Sleepy" judging by her serial number might have had one of the Bendix bottom turrets as completed. But since that turret was a failure they were removed and plated over. Which means it might have a tunnel gun fitted. Be nice to find photos.

"Hail Columbia" of the 98th BG was 41-11825 and did not have a bottom turret. Notice how close the serial numbers are.

• Profile Photo

@kahu

@luftwaffe-birdman

@fiveten

@johnb

I tested new paint: Hataka C068 FS30279, as Pink Sand shade.

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 1 month, 1 week ago:

That sand color looks pretty close. And scale also.