B-24 H Academy 1:72

Started by capt. R · 266 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Repainting yielded excellent results, my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year ago:

@luftwaffe-birdman

@gblair

@johnb

@fiveten

@stephen-w-towle

Thank You for Your all good comments! I do my best.

Today work with stand. I was thinking about what grass I need to choose. Yellowed or more green. But finally I used more greenish. Also some tropical plants and various long grass. There is some animals as snake, frog or two lizards in the grass.

16 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

A really nice base, my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

The base looks great, Bernard @lis
    The chosen greenish is indeed the best.
    Your dog has a great lookout from up there.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year ago:

@luftwaffe-birdman

@gblair

@johnb

@fiveten

@stephen-w-towle

Finally work is done. Main gear fits very good. I worried about this step. Also reinforcment in front leg strut goes in good way. Front turret need some cut in her stand to fit in fuselage, but I know that after dry fit. Time for tropical ground crew.

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looks amazing, my friend @lis! Looking forward to the crew!

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 1 year ago:

Plane is looking really good Lis, @lis, the final touches really bringing it together. The turrets add a lot and turned out nice. It helps when the landing gear are a good fit and sturdy. The resin gear struts I use on the 1/48th kit support the weight okay but are very shakey. For transportation I have the plane supported on foam off of the gear, and please please don't bump the table when I put it down.

• Profile Photo

Excellent result all over, Bernard @lis
    Looking forward to the base,

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year ago:

@fiveten @johnb @luftwaffe-birdman

Thank you for your kind words! The set is from 1996 and is almost thirty years old. I really like when you can assemble an older kit with a nice result and bring it to life. I am aware that several elements of the set had moderately refined. If the upper surface of the bomb bay can be let go, then, for example, the technology of making the turrets requires a lot of work to mask the seams. Also, the triple glazing of the pilot's cabin required gymnastics with white glue, and the joints are still visible, because the upper part is probably a bit too narrow. The main gear fitted really well. Surprisingly good and probably with less stress than in Hasegawa kit! And I usually complain about it. The interior of the model is quite basic including dorsal turret, but surprisingly it shows the individual compartments of the fuselage better than in the Hasegawa model, where the bomb bay is a closed cuboid and you can't see where the passages to further parts are. Looking at the bomb bay, you get an overview of the Academy kit over the entire airframe. There are a few details missing, such as landing lights and position lights under the fuselage, but I found that it makes the model as it is. The wings fit very tightly, so assembly after painting was problematic, because the thickness of the paint already made a difference. However, this construction proved the thesis that you can build a decent model, with practically a minimum of aftermarket goods, which for me was limited to figures of seated RAF pilots and the necessary set of decals, because the original ones were completely unusable. I bought IP panel from Eduard, but it don't fit! mabye it will works with Hasegawa kit. I made the model based on the Eduard limited set, but for a relatively lower price, because the cheapest Eduard sets start at $50 plus shipping $20. I got the model for $40 with shipping, plus $12.50 for the decal set. Unfortunately, this set of Eduard Masks fits to a very minimal extent, practically only the glazing of the pilot's cabin. the rest you have to do yourself, which was actually an interesting challenge. Overall, I rate the model very highly, with no major incidents during construction, which was very relaxing.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the detailed kit info, my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year ago:

@luftwaffe-birdman

@gblair

@johnb

@fiveten

@stephen-w-towle

Plane was moved on stand with mechanic and Mahout on elephant. I was thinking about how they put on diorama for good visilibity of plane and figures both.

Also I started paiting rest of ground crew.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Wow! Looks wonderful already, my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year ago:

@luftwaffe-birdman

@gblair

@johnb

@fiveten

@stephen-w-towle

Finally all figures are ready. They look a little bit as Australian crew. But I hope good enaught.

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The figures do look great, Bernard @lis
    Same is valid for the base, your Liberator looks amazing on it.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year ago:

The B-24 is spectacular, Bernard (@lis). The detail makes it look like a 1/48 model rather than a 1/72 model. The base and figures really set the scene for the bomber. Well done!