B-24 Liberator (one or maybe even two?) - new project.

Started by capt. R · 161 · 2 weeks ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 10 months ago:

She looks amazing, Bernard @lis
    A nice job done already.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 10 months ago:

@fiveten @johnb Thank You! I'm glad that You like my work, and read my thread! At this stage of construction, I feel that the OOD system is completely cool and sometimes we try to improve some things by force. I was really pleasantly surprised by the appearance of the tires with a flatness formed by the weight. It is known that everything in the model was perfect and it was a form of a trap, because I trusted Mr. Hasegawa too much that everything would fit perfectly. I don't know how the guys on YT did it, that they practically put the model together after painting - wings, engines, ballasts. I only decided on this variant with motors and I think it was a mistake because they did not fit well, and then two of them detached at the most unforeseen moment.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Lis, @lis, that really looks great. I love your overall finish and you did a great job with all the glass masking. Just a great looking build!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Your B-24 looks terrific, Bernard (@lis). Weathering and decals look great. I can only hope the canopies on my B-17 come out as well.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten @johnb @luftwaffe-birdman @gblair I'm glad that You like my model! It was very fun build excluding minor problems with engines montage. even loading the nose with weights was not so troublesome at all. Although the Liberator is not a model for beginners.

PS. For my future stand, yesterday I painted two figures: pilot and mechanic.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Love those figures, my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten Thank You!

• Profile Photo

Very nice figure painting, Bernard @lis

• Profile Photo

@fiveten @johnb @luftwaffe-birdman @gblair I am still waiting for the display case, which is almost a week late in execution. For now, a few working photos because it is impossible for me to wait for the final gallery (which of course will follow), but I would like to share with you the result of my over a month's work.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looks amazing, my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo

Excellent result, Bernard @lis
    Your paintwork on this Liberator looks superb.

• Profile Photo
  • Profile Photo

Well done my friend @lis!
    All is Superb!

• Profile Photo

Great work, Bernard @lis
    You gave her a well deserved place on the headlines together with a great article.
    Two thumbs up.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten @johnb @luftwaffe-birdman @gblair

Thank you for following the thread and numerous comments, now I would like to propose an academic discussion on the B-24 from the 1586 squadron. It would seem a good topic for another Libertor model, but on occasions the planes had significant hardware differences that did not correlate with models available on the market. First of all, most of the 1586 squadrons had Bouton-Paul turrets. Another problem is the front nose glazing, which is similar to the "D" version but is different. I have heard more or less fantastic ideas as to why this was so. A group of people is promoting the theory of converting version J to a glass nose. Just my question is. Who would have such a complicated makeover outside of an aircraft manufacturing facility? This can be checked in a simple way by placing the nose in the model from version D to the front of the hull in version J. Apart from the space for the turret, which can be cut off along the vertical seam, the sizes of the frames do not match in size, hence, without replacing the frames of the request does not fit here. Another teria says there was some unclaimed batch of RAF machines that the USAAF took over, which was supposed to differ in terms of equipment including nose glazing. In the squadron itself, in the documents that survived in the museum, you can see that the staff had a problem distinguishing between the versions of the machines. The preserved sequence of photos shows for sure one machine in the D version and others that look like D, but have glazing based on differently arranged frames. What do you think about it? As for the models, as I wrote, they are mainly available with the Consolidated rear turret. Yes, such were present in the 1586 squadron, but certainly in a version with a different glazing. The last picture is version that made Italeri in his repack of Minicraft kit. All will be good but back turret probably was Bouton-Paul.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.