CB-25J Mitchell

Started by George R Blair Jr · 230 · 11 months ago · 1/48, B-25J Mitchell, CB-25J, MATS, Monogram
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Following World War 2, the B-25 Mitchell was put to use in a variety of non-combat uses. Among these were the VB-25J (VIP/Staff Transport), the TB-25J (Advanced Pilot Trainer), the TB-25K (Hughes E1 Fire Control Trainer), the TB-25L (Hayes Pilot-Trainer Conversion), the TB-25M (Hughes E5 fire-Control Radar Trainer), TB-25N (Hayes Navigator-Trainer Conversion), and the CB-25J (Utility Cargo/Transport). I want to build several of these bomber modifications, starting with the Utility Cargo/Transport version, the CB-25J. Having flown C-141s in the Air Force, this seemed like a good place to start.

When the US Air Force came into being in 1947 (it had previously been part of the Army), they set up the Military Air Transport Service (MATS), which was the cargo, transport, and airlift division of the USAF. In the 1960s, the name changed again, with MATS becoming the Military Airlift Command (MAC). After the war, MATS had a need for small, cargo-carrying airplanes that could rapidly move smaller loads between airfields. The B-25J Mitchell was chosen for this role. The plane was demilitarized by removing the upper and lower turrets, as well as the tail guns. The bomb bay racks were removed, creating a large open area for cargo that stretched from the rear of the pilot's compartment to the tail. The B-25J doesn't seem like it would be a useful tool for hauling cargo since any cargo on the plane would have to be loaded through the hatches. My research found that many of these conversions had the bomb bay doors welded closed, so the size of each piece of cargo would have to be relatively small. I couldn't find any information for how many planes were converted to the CB-25J configuration, but it seems clear that the Mitchell only hauled cargo for a few years.

I'm not really sure this converted bomber fits into the Bomber Group, but I didn't think anyone would mind if I put this build here. For this conversion, I plan to use the 1/48 Revell/Monogram B-25J. The copyright on the box is from 1996. The major changes to the model seem fairly straightforward: remove the external armor plate that protected the pilots on both sides of the fuselage, remove the bombsight and guns from the nose, remove and plug the top and bottom gun turrets, remove the tail guns and add a tail fairing, and add the various additional blade antennas and wire antennas that had been added after the war. I am still trying to decide how much I want to detail this conversion. I want to do some additions in the cockpit, since the detail here is fairly soft, especially on both cockpit walls. I don't plan to replace the raised panel lines or add rivets on the exterior of the plane, although I might change my mind later. I will need to create all of the markings for this plane, either by piecing decals together or by creating my own masks for painting them. All of this will be decided as we roll along.

In the future, I also want to build a trainer version from a B-25C/D, a TB-25N radar trainer, and a civilian B-25 fire bomber. I have also found a photo of a B-25 radar ferret used in Korea. It was the "hunter" part of radar hunter/killer teams, with A-26s being used as the radar killers. There was also a very brightly painted B-25 used at the Edwards Test Pilot School, if you want something really unusual.

This will probably be quite a journey for me, since I don't do many natural metal models, and I have never done one in 1/48. Hope you will join me for the trip. Cheers everyone.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Some thing to consider George, many post war B-25 s had the exhaust systems modified. Many of the J models had a partial ring collector added to the system. War time J models had separate exhaust tubes for each jugs. Which is represented in the Revellogram kit.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Yet another SUPERB entry, my friend @gblair! A conversion you don't see modeled every day (first time for me). The Monogram B-25 is still a good kit. Looking forward to your progress and your approaches in conversion/improvements!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

This will be a nice journey, George @gblair
    Love to see the conversion work to end up with a cargo variant of the Mitchell.
    Definitely going to join this thread.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Stephen (@stephen-w-towle). I hadn't noticed the difference in the cowlings. I don't think it will be too hard to do. I will need to take a look at it.

Thanks, John (@johnb) and Spiros (@fiveten). This should be interesting to do, hopefully in a good way.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Thats a really nice looking plane George, @gblair. I am not much for natural metal but really like the looks of that one. It sounds like a fun project. Planning on scribing panel lines? One of the benefits is to remove you sand the entire plane with a very fine sand paper giving it a smooth finish for your NM finish. I am looking forward to watching this build of what really is a pretty good Monogram kit.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman). I don't do many NMF aircraft, mainly because I am not very good at it. I figure the only way to get better is to practice, so I figure this will fit the bill. I am also not very good at panel lines, and the most I have done is to replace lines removed during sanding. I am keeping the option open for this one, so it will be a game-time decision. I remembered this being one of Monogram/Revell's really good kits, but the cockpit walls were disappointing. I keep seeing a looming rabbit hole opening up...

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Great project! I will be following it!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Interesting conversion project, like Spiros says it’s not a everyday menu when it comes to ideas in conversions. I guess keeping raised lines in a NMF finish isn’t a deal breaker at all. My suggestion for the paint work is either Tamiya lacquer (their LP range) or AK Xtreme metals, both spray and cover very well, though the Tamiya-san is more resistant to touch

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Great choice, George. Interesting project. I concur with Pedro on the NMF paints. Tamiya lacquer base with AK Xtreme metals over it works very well.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year, 1 month ago:

George, go into the archives and look at what other modelers have done with the kit. I believe most of the panel lines in the real a/c where over lapping. Given the scale and size of the project I'd skip sanding down the raised lines it could be a deal breaker and a PITA. If your new at scribing. If your new at NMF, Pedro and John have some good advice on the paint finishes. The Revellogram kit has some weighty issues if you plan on using weights in the nose and in the engine nacelles. In some kits the fuselage to wing joints need filling with plastic card and putty. Given the number of subjects your planning on doing, you could scale down. Hasegawa and Airfix offer descent kits or buy a cheap kit and use it as a test dummy for practicing NMF paints something that is cheap and will not be missed if you crash and burn. Some of these kits are priced at the same price or more as the Revellogram kit.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year ago:

@lis: Welcome, Bernard. This should be fun if I can pull it off.

Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman), Pedro (@holzhamer), John (@j-healy), and Stephen (@stephen-w-towle): Thanks for the recommendations. I am hoping to avoid removing all of the raised panel lines and replacing them. I have done some limited natural metal areas on some previous models and have had good luck with Vallejo Metals. I really like Tamiya lacquers, so I may pick some up and do some experimenting.

After Stephen (@stephen-w-towle) clued me in on the exhaust system, I did some research to track down the different systems. It seems that the B-25J had a Clayton exhaust system that featured a separate exhaust for each of its 14 cylinders, with a separate fairing on the cowling for each. This kit features this exhaust system. In the early 1950s, the exhaust system was modified to a partial Clayton system where the top cylinders were all collected and vented out a large exhaust pipe on the outboard side of each cowling. The bottom cylinders still had separate exhausts. This is where it gets fun. Not all J Models were converted to the new system. Those that were converted were modified over a period of several years. So, it is possible that you could see both exhaust systems on the aircraft within a given sub-type. For instance, you can find online photos of the CB-25J with both exhaust systems. In addition, the carburetor system was changed on some aircraft from the Holley carb system on the wartime J version to a Bendix-Stromberg system that featured a much taller intake above the engine. Once again, not all the planes received the new carb system. So, on any given post-war B-25J, it is possible to see either exhaust system, as well as either carb system.

I suppose I could have legitimately left the early exhaust system in place, but I wanted to try to depict the combination exhaust. I was hoping that the exhaust stubs on the cowling would be solid, so that all I needed to do was clip them off and sand them down, but they are partially hollow. Of course, I thoughtlessly picked the really stupid way to remove them. On the first cowling, I clipped the stubs off, then filled the holes in the cowling. Dumb. The easy way to do it was to fill the back of the exhausts with putty, let them dry, then clip them off and sand everything down.

I also removed the armor plate that protected the pilots. For the first one, I used sanding sticks to remove the whole thing, which took a long time. For the second one, I carefully removed most of the plate using my Dremel tool and then finished the process with sanding sticks. Much easier. I discovered that it is relatively easy to remove too much plastic from both the fuselage and the cowlings, and that it is relatively difficult to keep all of the round stuff in its round shape. I hope to restore the panel lines around the cockpit and engines using a scriber, and I hope to blend them in to the raised panel lines farther back. Should be a fun experiment.

The interior detail on the fuselage walls was very soft, so I planned to add my own frames and detail using plastic strip. I lightly sanded the interior detail on the fuselage walls. Using the previous detail as a guide, I started adding some frames and boxes using strip plastic.

Thanks for all the suggestions. This has been fun, so far. I have another Revell/Monogram B-25J that I want to use for one of the next conversions, and I have a 1/72 Hasegawa B-25J for another conversion, and I want to use a 1/72 Airfix B-25D for a trainer conversion. I am planning shelf space as we speak. :o)

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Wow! Fantastic progress after an equally fantastic research, my friend @gblair! Tackling all these details to get it right is really amazing! So great to learn all these things. This is a most joyful build thread, that I look forward to its progress.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

Great research done, George @gblair
    This will become a beautiful copy of the CB25J, especially with all the details which you already created.
    Looking forward to your next steps.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). Sometimes the research is fun, and hopefully the build will be, too. It is nice to be working on a 1/48 model instead of 1/72.