• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 6 months ago:

@johnb @fiveten

@stephen-w-towle

@gblair

@fxrob

@airbum

@tcinla

I really enjoy โ€ž40 seconds over Tokioโ€. Very noce movie. Great historical planes and famous actors. Yesterday I made Also some chipping. I think this planes was quite new so I made some chipping on engines blinds and covery. I used weathering pencil and fine brush. Sponge didnโ€™t work fine and looks not too resistically

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

chipping looks superb, my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 5 months ago:

The area around the engines is always tough, Bernard (@lis), but I think you have nailed it. Looks great.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 5 months ago:

@gblair I would definitely do some things differently after watching the movie. I would put the .303 machine gun hidden in the bombardier's cabin. The film showed how the bombardier was aiming through a simple bombsight. The modern ones from the B-17 were removed to save the weight of the aircraft.

@fiveten

@fxrob

@johnb

@stephen-w-towle

I spend coulpe of time to search what type of wheel rim was in B-25 from Dolittle Ride. Airfix gives option for that. FInally I decided to use standard cover mounted with screws to the rim. The wheels can be considered completely successful. I'm glad I gave up buying resin castings.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

The wheels look absolutely perfect, my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo

Nice job on the wheels, Bernard (@lis). You are right, the Doolittle B-25s did not have a regular bombsight. They came in at tree top height to avoid Japanese radar and other detection devices, so the normal bombsight wouldn't work. They made a manual sight to replace the regular bombsight. Not taking the regular gunsight also saved a lot of weight. They also removed the belly turret to save weight, along with a bunch of ammo. They put two painted broomsticks in the tail to hopefully scare Japanese fighters away.

Here is some info from the Wikipedia article on the B-25Bs that were used:
    "Initial planning called for 20 aircraft to fly the mission,[20] and 24 of the group's B-25B Mitchell bombers were diverted to the Mid-Continent Airlines modification center in Minneapolis, Minnesota. With support provided by two senior airline managers, Wold-Chamberlain Field's maintenance hangar was the first modification center to become operational. From nearby Fort Snelling, the 710th Military Police Battalion provided tight security around this hangar. B-25B aircraft modifications included the following:
    Removal of the lower gun turret.
    Installation of de-icers and anti-icers.
    Mounting of steel blast plates on the fuselage around the upper turret.
    Removal of the liaison radio set to save weight.
    Installation of a 160-gallon collapsible neoprene auxiliary fuel tank, fixed to the top of the bomb bay, and installation of support mounts for additional fuel cells in the bomb bay, crawlway, and lower turret area, to increase fuel capacity from 646 to 1,141 U.S. gallons (538 to 950 imperial gallons, or 2,445 to 4,319 L).
    Installation of mock gun barrels in the tail cone.
    Replacement of the Norden bombsight with a makeshift aiming sight devised by pilot Capt. C. Ross Greening that was dubbed the "Mark Twain". The materials for this bombsight cost only 20 cents.[18]

Two bombers also had cameras mounted to record the results of the bombing."

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Very nice set of wheels, Bernard @lis

• Profile Photo

Interestintg vid, but it not surprised me.

• Profile Photo

Very nice video, Bernard @lis
    I was not aware that the Mitchell started with a different wing design.
    Thanks for sharing.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for sharing this interesting video, my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo

@gblair I was amused by the fact that the Japanese took broom sticks and did not attack from the rear. Besides, they were probably poorly trained themselves, because they did not shoot down lone bombers, and they lost three planes shot down.

"I was amused by the fact that the Japanese took broom sticks and did not attack from the rear. Besides, they were probably poorly trained themselves, because they did not shoot down lone bombers, and they lost three planes shot down."

@fiveten

@johnb

PS. Mitchell has have final coat of semi glos clear X-35.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looks really good, Bernard @lis

• Profile Photo

The paint and decals look really good, Bernard (@lis). I like the subtle dark and lights in the finish.

If I recall the raid correctly, I think the Japanese expected any raids to be flown at much higher altitudes by large bombers or by naval bombers launched from a nearby carrier. No one in Japan could anticipate long-range medium bombers launched from a carrier coming in a wave-top height. The plan was to get in fast and get out fast, which is where the title of the movie comes from.

As far as the Japanese being fooled by the broomsticks, it reminds me of something from my younger days. I was in Boy Scouts in West Texas, and there were all sorts of snakes to worry about when camping. One was a rattlesnake, which is poisonous, and there was a king snake, which looked like a rattlesnake, but wasn't poisonous. Our scoutmaster told us you could tell the difference between them by the shape of their head. One of them had a rounded nose, and the other had a pointed nose. I always figured that if I was close enough to check the shape of their heads, then I was too close. This is sort of like the broom handles. If you are close enough to tell the difference between broom handles and machine guns, then perhaps you are too close. :o)

• Profile Photo

Tha final coat looks great, my friend @lis and, yes, our friend @gblair is absolutely right ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

• Profile Photo

I started work with diorama . My friend cut out carrier deck by laser-cutting machine (i donโ€™t know how it is in english). This is this playwood sheet.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.