Dora Wings 1/48 Vultee Vengeance II

Started by Tom Cleaver · 6 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 10 months ago:

So, starting this one. As with most Dora Wings kits, this can be listed under Top 100 Kits I Never Expected To See In 1/48 Injected Plastic.

It's a purposeful but ugly beast. A little research tells you it only saw 3 months direct combat with RAAF in New Guinea in the spring of 1944. It was short-ranged, couldn't carry a heavier bombload than a fighter-bomber, and was a maintenance hog. Although there is a British author, Peter C. Smith, determined to defend the Vengeance to the death, so I ordered a copy of his book, "The Vultee Vengeance in Battle," which tells the story of the Vengeance in Burma with the RAF and RIAF.

And other research found the attached photo of a Vengeance taxying with the dive brakes deployed, so I know I can do that (looking at the kit, getting the pe-brakes flat to the wing looks like a bugbear).

The other photo in color leads me to believe that these airplanes were painted "US Lend-Lease RAF colors" and were left alone after arrival. So it's DuPont "Dark Earth," US Medium Green for "Dark Green" and a sky blue color for "Sky". Reading the operational history of these airplanes with the RAAF, they don't appear to have been run through an Australian paint depot. I saw some Hex-Spurtz over at The Other Place arguing that the green here is RAAF Foliage Green, so that it must have been painted in RAAF colors, but that green isn't that dark, and the Dark Earth definitey isn't the RAAF version. So that's what I am going with.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Looking forward to your build, Tom (@tcinla). I have this kit lurking in a moving box somewhere. This is one of those planes that was so ugly that it is cool. Like you said, I have read that the manufacturers would use US paints to approximate the colors of the air force that would be getting the plane. It certainly looks like this is what happened in the photo.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Great entry, my friend @tcinla!
    "It's so ugly it's beautiful" and will make for an outstanding model once finished.
    Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 10 months ago:

This will be a great looking Vengeance, Tom @tcinla
    Maybe not the prettiest aircraft, it has some special looks which makes it attractive.
    Looking forward to see it in this scheme.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Very interesting project! I will be watching! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Strapped to the chair also. It’s not the most aesthetic pleasing design but it has a charm to it…perhaps it’s them crooked wings