Ferrets in the Mediterranean: B-17F Flying Fortress

Started by George R Blair Jr · 157 · 1 year ago · 1/72, Academy, B-17F, ELINT, ferret, Flying Fortress
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 11 months ago:

That interior is looking very good George.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Thanks, @johnb, @lis, @tcinla. Still have some more detailing to go, but getting close to closing the inside. @lis: The resin interior set came with some photoetch, including some strips of machine gun bullets. The track for the machine gun ammunition made a lot of twists and turns to go from their storage box to the machine gun in the B-17, so I just bent them to fit and didn't worry too much about what they are supposed to look like. The only other place I plan to use them is in the upper turret. @tcinla: You were partially right about painting the pieces. I initially planned to just put the major structure into the fuselage and then paint it, but I got excited about the detailing and added too much. Some of the areas were very interesting to get to with a brush, and I still need to do some touch up. When I was stationed at Norton AFB many years ago, a neighbor taught me the ins and outs of airbrushing and always said "if you can see it, you can paint it". After painting the interior, I am starting to doubt if that's true. Cheers.

• Profile Photo

I think I have done about as much with the interior as my patience will allow. I got all of the fiddly bits installed, both scratchbuilt and those that came with the resin cockpit set. I completed the painting, and then did some minor weathering using Tamiya Panel Line Accent and artist's oils. I had originally planned to use a 3D instrument panel that I had for a B-17G, but it wasn't really going to fit well, so I used a decal for the instruments that I robbed from a KitsWorld decal set.

I needed various colors of decal sheet that I could cut up into shapes to add to the interior. I planned to use black decal sheet cut to size to represent the passage between the flight deck and the nose compartment. I also needed some olive drab for straps, as well as some yellow and red in various places. I didn't have any color decal sheet, so I made my own by spraying Tamiya paint from a can onto a sheet of clear decal paper. Then I simply cut what I needed and used them as decals. Worked great.

The resin set had 6 seats that were to be built using resin and photoetch. I needed more seats, so I scratchbuilt several more that would be placed in the radio/ferret compartment. I had a set of KitsWorld 3D seatbelts for this plane that I wanted to try. After watching a couple of YouTube videos on how to apply them, I used the belts for the pilot's seats. The belts conformed without trouble, but the seats didn't take much handling before the belts loosened. In accordance with the recommendations in the video, I applied a little superglue to the belts to keep them in place. So, I can attest that a little superglue is a good idea.

For the rest of the seats, I used a really old set of decals from Monogram ProModeler. Back in the day they sold several sets of decals that had various instrument panels on them, as well as some seatbelts. Last time I used a set of these decals, the instrument panel disintegrated, so I sprayed them with some clear gloss to renew them. They worked perfectly, but you have to remember that you are essentially making one continuous decal sheet, so you need to carefully cut the decals as close as you can to the belts.

Tomorrow I plan to install the seats, as well as the control yokes. After this all dries, it will be time to close up the cockpit. Thanks for tuning in. Cheers.

8 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 11 months ago:

You did an amazing job on this interior, George @gblair
    All those instruments and parts do add a lot to make it more realistic.
    I do like that overhead panel a lot.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb). The sad thing about the overhead panel is that it you probably won't be able to see it once it is installed on the plane.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 11 months ago:

This is an unbelievably detailed interior, let alone for 1/72, my friend @gblair! Seems that obce you start detailing the interior you cannot stop. Even if some details will be invisible once the fuselage closes, it is really wonderful to see all the extras added!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten). Once I got going it was hard to stop adding stuff. Adding the small windows today, then closing everything up.

• Profile Photo

Goodbye, interior. I finished the seats and got everything ready to close the fuselage. I was a little worried about the seats that were built using the resin set because the photoetch legs had no positive attachment to the floor. My scratch-built seats have plenty of surface area for gluing. All the seats were attached to the fuselage floor using superglue, which I then followed up with some more superglue. I have a real fear that the seats will come adrift after the fuselage is closed up, so I wanted some insurance that the seats had a good chance of staying where they are.

Before gluing the fuselage together, I had to be sure I wasn't leaving anything out. I checked that all of the small windows are in place, as well as the tail wheel strut, and the upper turret housing. When I test fit the fuselage sides, I discovered they were warped. I glued the two sides together and then used plenty of masking tape to hold everything together.

I am a little worried about the tail wheel strut. It is scale thickness, meaning that it is very thin. What are the chances that it will survive the rest of the build? More to follow. Cheers

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Compliments on this detailed interior, George @gblair
    As always, a pity to encapsulate it with the two fuselage halves.
    A good thing you took sufficient pictures of it.
    The tail wheel does indeed need some special precautions.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb). I got carried away on the interior and added a lot of stuff that will not be visible at all. It has made this build a little tiresome, but it is my fault. Hopefully things will speed up a little now that I can work on the exterior and the fun stuff: paint and decals. I snagged the tail strut twice while I was taping the fuselage. Survival chances are going down fast!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Indeed a pity to have this interior hidden, my friend @gblair! Yes, the scale thickness strut will need extra care.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten). I may need to figure out some kind of shield to protect the tail strut from damage.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Nice progress George. One possible solytion to the aft strut would be to jam a shortened cocktailstick in at each side in front of the strut. Usually works wonders on 109's 😉

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 11 months ago:

interior looks impressive.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Bernard (@lis) and Erik (@airbum). I thought about cutting a tube that would fit around the strut, but I think it might make it even more likely to get in the way.