HP Halifax MK. II - Revell.

Started by capt. R · 125 · 1 year ago · 1/72, 138 squadron, Aviation, Halifax
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 1 month ago:

As you probably remember my keen interest in the Vickers Wellington plane, which is being built by @johnb. I have long wanted to build something big as I think I have acquired enough experience to try some long distance project (like Halifax :-)). After searching the internet, it turned out that my model supplier sells a 2011 Halifax model from Revell on scalemates. After a short thought, I decided to buy this model. It is not new, but I think it will be interesting. it cost me sth about 55$ but I hope it will be worth of this price. These are new forms that have nothing to do with the Matchbox forms from the 70s. The kit includes a lot of parts and countless options, so much so that without a broader knowledge of the plane, sometimes I spend a lot of time searching for details to recreate the plane as faithfully as possible. The kit I purchased was without decals, so I bought an aftermarket kit from my favorite 138 Special Purpose Squadron, having made sure in advance that I would have a completely new and interesting story to tell you about the plane and the crew. Hope you enjoy the build and follow the thread. I've had a lot of normal work during the last week and only now has my thoughts written, but the work has been going on for a good week. So I invite you and let this story flow!

PS. I will not reveal all the riddles and history of Halifax, number L9613, because I would like to build some tension and interest on your part 🙂 I hope you will enjoy article in final 🙂

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 1 month ago:

You have created a very interesting build group, Lis @lis
    For sure a lot of very interesting builds will be entered in this group.
    Your entry of the Halifax as a great example.
    Really looking forward to this build.

• Profile Photo

Thank you @johnb ! Photos show all week build. I have some problems with cockpit floor, that don't fits good at all (plastic was a little bend, and I don't know why - a long time in box?). Detail in cokpit are great. Control panel was hand painted. Fuselage need some liquid putty, and some CA glue to be closed. Canopy needs extra attention to fit in fuseage, and more white glue than usual. It always disappoints me a bit, whether I accidentally made a mistake, or whether the model jets so charming that the fairing does not fit as I would like. During this construction, the painting scheme will be completely different and all lower surfaces will be in black "night", including the main landing gear recesses. Manual is unclear for me, and I spend a lot of time to find how build some detals. I would like to thank @tcinla for substantive help in developing the painting scheme.

Unfortunately, Revell orders each hole to be drilled by itself, which in the case of drilling the antenna in the crew cabin fairing always results in gray hair.

PS. I have no idea what I need to do with bomb bay. It's an option to build it in open position.I need to cut bomb doors in two lines - transversely and longitudinally, because it comeas as single part. But problem is that this plane didn't carry bombs in his duty...

The idea of this project is to made is as OOB build, without PE or resin parts. I hope it will be worked fine,but I'm not sure that I don't broke my rules in future and order resin exhauts 😉

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Very nice progress already, Lis @lis
    Great details on the interior.
    I don't think long storage will bend plastic, you need at least a bit of force over a longer time as well to achieve that.

• Profile Photo

@johnb mabye box laid on sun? Or are they stressing the injection mold while the mold is cooling - skin the material?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 1 month ago:

A wonderful entry, my friend @lis!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Great photos and subject. Lis looks like your box has a lot of character . . . like a well worn pair of shoes. The end result will look fantastic and comfortable to look at too. Added plus, this kit isn't modeled often nor do you read a lot material on experiences of bomber crews.

• Profile Photo

@stephen-w-towle Yes. I bought this kit as used, because any Hobby Shop that I know hadn't HP Halifax in MK. II version. This kit is quite rare!

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years ago:

This weekend is devoted to the construction of Merlin XX engines, and wings. I think modern Airfix Kits of Big Bombers beat the Revell set on the head, but despite minor flaws, the set folds nicely and I have a lot of fun at the same time. The main problem of the Revell set is in my opinion the shrinkage of the injection mold. this makes the bonded surfaces difficult to putty.. The installation of the motor nacelles resulted in the fact that the liquid putty was not used very much, which was a positive surprise. There was a bit of sanding but I feel normal, Dry the wings fit well with the fuselage and I hope you (and me :-)) enjoy the end result. I noticed that in the company photos of Revell, the model also has a visible masking of the shortcomings of the cabin assembly, so (phew!), It was probably not me who made an assembly error.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 2 years ago:

Looking good @lis.
    I remember building the Matchbox version of the Halifax II waaay back in the very early '80s.
    It was a good kit even if the detail was a little heavy handed.
    The interior was nowhere as detailed as this kit, though.

• Profile Photo

When I was in primary school I saw Halifax from Matchbox in my small hobby shop, but I didn't have enaught money for it... It was great kit in year 89/90.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years ago:

Good progress, Lis @lis

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years ago:

These engines look great, my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo

Some progres with tail.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years ago:

Very good looking twin tail, Lis @lis