HP Halifax MK. II - Revell.

Started by capt. R · 125 · 2 years ago · 1/72, 138 squadron, Aviation, Halifax
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 1 month ago:

@stephen-w-towle This set of part are quite interesting (maybe excluding its price ;-)) Unfortunetly build goes so far to use this set. But I have the same decals from this set. Apparently they were also available separately. Because I haven't found the set itself.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Its your build and you own it. Building something out of the box has its merits the point being your have some fun and entertainment while doing a little research. Being able to write about bomber crews and learning something about the strengths and weakness of a kit. So far its lookin good and yes you don't have to break the bank to build every kit to have a good result.

• Profile Photo

@stephen-w-towle things with the OOB system got complicated because it turns out that a small part of the main gear leg is damaged and I had to order a kit for the main gear and spend 19$ for it. I need to analyze how to approach this. I'll throw in some photos after that. But I can already see that I have learned a lot of Halifax and my knowledge is unquestionably better. Let's go for sure it will be even better. In any version 🙂

• Profile Photo

LOL, its easy to fall down the Rabbit hole when your a perfectionist. The best made plans can always take a turn. Sometimes a broken part can be a good thing.

• Profile Photo

You are right Stephen. This set looks like this. Direct from USA.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Hmmm - I didn't know that Mk V part existed in the kit.

Here's some info on what the Halifx Mk. V is:

B Mk V Series 1 (Special) and Series 1a

The Halifax Mk V was virtually identical to the Mk II. The only difference was the use of the Dowty undercarriage in place of the Messier undercarriage used in the Mk II, which was in short supply. The Dowty undercarriage was used on the Avro Manchester and Lancaster bombers, but the version supplies for the Halifax used sub-standard castings, preventing the Mk V from being used with a full bomb load. This made the Mk V of limited use to Bomber Command, and so after it entered service in June 1943 most Mk Vs were transferred to other duties. In some ways the failure of the Mk V as a heavy bomber was fortunate. Many other RAF commands needed the capacity offered by the four engined heavies, but Bomber Command were very unwilling to release them for other duties.

GR Mk V Series 1A

Coastal Command benefited from the limits of the Mk V as a heavy bomber. The GR Mk V was used in greater numbers than any other maritime version. It was most often used in the anti-shipping role, but also served in the anti-submarine role.

Met Mk V

The Mk V was the first Halifax to be converted for meteorological duties. Three Coastal Command squadrons (Nos. 517, 518 and 520) used the aircraft to fly long range missions over the Atlantic from bases in Britain and Gibraltar. The Merlin engines used in the Mk V were not well suited to this duty which required very long range operation. Engine failures were relatively common, and delayed the entry of the type into regular meteorological service – with the heavy fuel load needed for these long range missions three engines could not keep the Halifax at altitude and the extended fuel tanks on the standard Mk V could not be jettisoned.

A Mk V Series 1 (Special) and Series 1A

The Mk V was also used heavily by the Airborne Forces. The A Mk V had the dorsal turret removed. Glider towing equipment was added to the rear of the fuselage. Internally the A Mk V was equipped to carry paratroops. The A Mk V Series 1A was in use at the time of D-Day.

• Profile Photo

Here are some photos of landing gear for Merlin powered Halifax bombers.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

@stephen-w-towle This is directly landing gear from this extra metal kit. Interestingly, the second type of chassis for the V version, mentioned by @tcinla, is also attached to the original model. Halifax mk. V coded NF@F had nose from manual that I signed by green line. Unfortunetly conversion from B.III to B.V special is difficult because of Brostol Pegasus engines (I missed it before).

• Profile Photo

I never, ever primed model such long. Four days, in installments, some time 8 or more hours per day. After setting black primer I found a lot of shortcomings on surface of fuselage so I have a lot of sanding to try make model perfect. I hope you enjoy my work (me not quite ;-)) .

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 1 month ago:

To me it looks impressive already, Lis @lis
    Primier indeeds reveals often more smaller issues than you would like to know.
    For sure will get those fixed.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 1 month ago:

As always, you are too hard on yourself, my friend @lis! As our friend @johnb wrote, the result is impressive!

• Profile Photo

@johnb @fiveten Thank you. Hope the further work goes well.

• Profile Photo

Happy Easter!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Just a short "Hi'ya" to let you know I follow with interest - as always all your effort will pay off @lis!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Happy Easter to you as well, my friend @lis!
    Looking superb!