Monogram B-26B, 1/48th

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 15 · 1 month ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Being a glutton for punishment at times in building a kit that is not an easy one. The reward is completing it in such a way that you were able to overcome the obstacles of all the known issues of the kit. Yet not go to some of the elaborate intensive work that some get involved in. I will keep this one as simple as possible yet present a model that will be hopefully well built to cover those issues. So lets go take a peek what is in the box.

This is the Pro Modeller edition of the basic Monogram kit with the addition of resin parts that are not in the base kit and different set of decals. I have a set of Cutting Edge decals with some nice nose art on OD over Neutral Gray schemes.

The instruction sheet is typical Monogram/Revell with a short history of the Marauder, paint chart for the colors needed to paint the Marauder. No parts map.

The assembly sequence starts with the interior,though I will deviate from that sequence.

The paint schemes have 2 OD and one NMF to choose.

The decal sheet looks nice, but at times difficult to work with depending who is the vender supplying the markings.

The Cutting Edge set #48-116, features 3 OD schemes, I will be doing the 2nd scheme on the sheet.

First is the resin parts that Monogram supplies with the kit. Which provides a flight deck, mainwheel bay front and rear walls, nose gear bay, center console, upper turret ring, rear gunners bulkhead, instrument panel and LH/RH side cockpit wall panels and consoles.

The first sprue are the fuselage halves. Fine raised panel lines, the rudder is molded on each fuselage half. The interior has the stringers, various control boxes moulded into each half. The RH cockpit sidewall has moulded in side console panels, control boxes, a bit soft, can be replaced with the sharper details resin parts provided.

The bomb bay and rear section of the fuselage has decent details to work with and improve.

The side lower gun positions can be left opened or closed, The wing attachment point will have the spars portrude from the slots to set the correct dihedral when when the wings are attached. The armor plating panels are molded on the LH side of the cockpit.

23 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months, 1 week ago:

That's a nice set with quite some extras, Chuck @uscusn
    Even though you want to keep it simple, I'm pretty sure that this Marauder will turn out amazingly.
    Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Good one Chuck. I converted mine to a Navy JM-1. I had lots of fit issues around the nacelles and rear gunners area. Nothing putty couldn't fix

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Excellent entry, my friend @uscusn! Looking forward to it, especially your impressions compared with the ICM tooling.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Very great start with this kit!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 months ago:

Thanks John, lots of AM stuff to get this tough build up to snuff.
    Hi George, I would love to see that conversion, yeah I am looking forward to tackling the issues you encountered.
    Thanks Sprios, for your encouragement always
    Thanks Capt, this was the easy part. Next is to take a deep breath and get started.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 months ago:

First my typical first step is to pre-paint the interior components. Reading reviews and looking at pics in color, I went with the US Interior Green cockpit and rear fuselage section, Silver Lacquer weapons bay.

After painting the front and rear sections IG, the center section of the bomb bay is painted Aluminum. As well as the front and rear bulkheads and the roof panel moulded to the wing panel.

Next up is to start building.
    more to follow

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months ago:

Nice and smooth painting, Chuck @uscusn

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months ago:

Excellent painting, my friend @uscusn!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 months ago:

Chuck @uscusn

You are moving right along on this one. Monogram kits are what guys like you and I cut our teeth on. They still build up into respectable models, and in some cases, are even more accurate in outline and / or detail when compared to some of the newer models.

And to think these guys did it with a slide ruler and paper... definite craftsmen... just like you are.

Looks great so far, and it will only get better from here.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks John and Spiros, I used Mission Models, Acrylic for the Interior Green and Vallejo Aluminum for the bomb bay section and bulkheads.
    Yes Louis, that is very true growing up with Monogram. They still hold up against the newer molds, when it comes to shape in accuracy in some intances, and not much easier to build. With the extra detail parts that the newer kits provide adds to the challenge, but also that extra detailing is rewarding when finished.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

With the know issue in regard to the ill fitting naceles to wing attachment points, unlike the ICM Marauder, I decided to start with the wings.

1st to remove the center roof panel that was moulded on the RH upper wing half.

Next is to assemble the LH side wing panels.

Another issue to fix is the large gap within the landing housing. Too far apart to clamp shut so filling this in will be addressed later in the build.

On the RH side wing halves was this large mold release point which caused the outer wing panels to not close at the seams. Sanding this off resolved that problem.

Once the wings were assembled, next was to check if it is possible to continue with out installing the landing gear until towards the end of the project. But the design will not allow that, so next up is to assemble the main gear.

Funny after assembly the LH wing panels, the landing lamp on this side did not have a gap like the RH side.

Before moving on to the landing gear, I attached the LH half of the gear/engine nacelle to the wing. Which shows that nasty gap at point of contact.

A resin upper rear roof panel is attached just aft of the main gear bay roof.

The resin wheel bay front and rear walls that will be installed as I assemble the interior of the nacelles.

After the cement sets on the nacelle, closest fit possible, Tamiya putty is used to fill the gap, using wet n dry 3M sandpaper, starting with 220, 320, 400 and finally 600 grit. After sanding the seam, not bad after an hour of sanding and smoothing out.

The main gear strut is quite sturdy and the contact point with in the bay is very good. The gear on the Marauder is much more solid compared to the Invader. The rear gear bay wall removed from the resin block

The strut and retracter actuators installed.

Now with both main geat struts installed, Next is to attach the front and rear bay walls.

At this time I took the opportunity to add some lead weight in the empty space between the engines and gear bay.

Once the resin bits are installed, next is to assemble and mate each nacelle.

which will be the next session,
    more to follow

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Looks great, Chuck (@uscusn). I built one of these about 35 years ago and remember it being a nice kit. All the extras will certainly add to a pretty solid foundation. It cracks me up that "Other George" (@blackadder57) built his as a JM-1, because that is what I did with mine. I would love to send photos, but the model didn't survive one of my moves. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Progressing really nicely, Chuck @uscusn

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent progress and nice addressing of some fit issues, my friend @uscusn!