Trumpeter Vickers Wellington Mk.Ic 1/72

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 260 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 11 months ago:

@lis, this is not gold paint. I used a mixture of brons, aluminum and black in the ration of 3:1:2

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 11 months ago:

@johnb So it's kind of "burned metal" paint?

• Profile Photo
    Roberto Flavio Alonzo Revollo Alarcon said 1 year, 11 months ago:

I sincerely envy those modelers that can build that fast... If I may, for your next build, allow me to sugest to use an sponge to do the inner weathering in the hallways and corridors...

• Profile Photo

@lis, indeed, Lis. I tried to make it look like burned metal.

• Profile Photo

@flavioalonzo, thanks for the suggestion, Roberto. Will definitely give it a try.

• Profile Photo

Very good, dedicated paint has Mr Hobby. I use it.

• Profile Photo

@lis, thank you, Lis. Will have a look at that.

• Profile Photo
  • Profile Photo

@lis, thanks for the link, Lis. Slightly different from my mixture. Rare color pictures of Wellingtons do show greyish collectors and reddish collectors as well. At this moment I will leave it as is.

• Profile Photo

After some lack of time due to various daily cases, weathering on the Wellington could finally start.

I always find it difficult to get nice weathering effects, especially on dark surfaces, and with a black lower surface this is absolutely valid for the Wellington.

To get some effect, I used a greyish wash. The wash was applied after first creating the exhaust stains with a lighter grey airbrush.

Upper surface is done using a black wash.

After that a layer of satin varnish was applied.

Would love to hear some feedback on the results, no matter positive or negative, just to learn from you on how to improve.

• Profile Photo

After final coat of clear it looks perfect! I'm not sure about roundels on lower surfaces of wings. I think there are no any roundels because of camuflage during nigth missions.

• Profile Photo

@lis, thanks a lot, Lis. I was in doubt to attach those roundles for the same reason as you mentioned. I did however see pictures where the Wellingtons did have them while wearing night camouflage. So I followed the instructions of Trumpeter and applied them.

Also the Polish 301st did have them, although not always.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 11 months ago:

The weathering and final coat look wonderful, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

What brand of wash did you use? I use Modelers World black Brown. Its good product, and you can easy correct it after applay. Tamiya panel line is more agressive, and polishing after applay this product is hard.

• Profile Photo

@lis, the wash that I use is Vallejo wash. It can be treated afterwards with plain water.