Fighter Pilot by Paul Richey

Started by Russell Jurco · 4 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Russell Jurco said 5 years ago:

I found this copy of Fighter Pilot - A Personal Record of the Battle of France in a local used book store about ten years ago. It was intriguing in that there was no author indicated on the cover or title page. It turns out Flight Lieutenant and ultimately Wing Commander Paul Richey wrote it and it was first published in 1941, when the government of Great Britain found it imprudent to reveal the names of their pilots. I have seen other copies, also from 1941, that credit him as author with a photo of him in dress uniform.

The story of No. 1 Squadron takes you through the transition from the "phoney war" to Great Britain's retreat from France. The air battles, unit moves to various airfields and description of general conditions make for a compelling read. A number of photos are included though not the second image I have included here. I found that one on the web searching Richey's name.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years ago:

Thanks, Russell.

Those books you find in local shops are just gold, I love looking through used bookstores (one of my very favourite things). Appreciate you sharing this.

• Profile Photo
    Russell Jurco said 5 years ago:

David, I think a good bookstore can bring your blood pressure down twenty points. This Old Book, the shop in the town next door where I found Fighter Pilot, is still making a go of it. I am concerned about their future because it is hard to compete with on-line providers. Thirty years ago the Articles of War bookshop was also in my area. I found The Typhoon and Tempest Story by Thomas & Shores there as well as a number of old Chatto & Windus titles. They have since moved to New Mexico and sell through Biblio.com and e-Bay. It was during a recent review of their offerings that I found Kent's One of the Few. But I miss walking into the quiet of their shop and spending an hour or two leafing through different titles.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years ago:

One of the great fighter pilot books. A look at the Battle of France which you don't often see. Well written and a great insight into the strains of a hard fought campaign.