The First and The Last - Adolf Galland

Started by Nick Newell · 7 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Nick Newell said 5 years ago:

Get a copy! Fascinating read. Some of the content needs to be taken with a grain of salt but nonetheless it's an interesting take on the German side of the air war from a fighter pilot's perspective, and a famous one too.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 5 years ago:

I agree Nick, it's a good read. And another perspective for sure.

• Profile Photo
    Peter Klin said 5 years ago:

Read it few months ago.

This book is certainly a "must" for any enthusiast of the air warfare history. It contains stimulating "alternative" points of view on some important WW2 operations as well as the pilot's personal experiences. The part dedicated to his contact with the captured Douglas Bader is fantastic!

I found somehow disappointing Galland's elitist view on the fighter pilots and his quite detached attitude toward all the suffering around him, which is the opposite you can find for example in Clostermann's book.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years ago:

I have the book, as yet unread - a situation waiting for a remedy in the shape of long summer evenings in the yard with a cold beer...

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years ago:

Read it next, David! Not just an account of the complete mismanagement of the Luftwaffe by Goebbels and Hitler, of course - but a massive insight from the position of a pilot and leader from start to end of WW2. A brilliant book, about an incredible life - with a 'little exaggeration'.

• Profile Photo
    Nick Newell said 5 years ago:

Can't argue with you Paul. Like most autobiographies there's always the tendency to 'shape history' for posterity. With Galland's book, we must remember that it was written not too long after the end of the war and people's memories were still fresh and emotionally charged. Perhaps if it'd been written in the 80's the content may have been slightly different?

• Profile Photo
    Doug Humphrey said 4 years, 6 months ago:

For what it's worth - I've read this book. It's been awhile, but the main thing I took away from it, was learning how germany coped with deciding on/producing aircraft throughout the war. The other story that stands out in my mind from this book was when a maintenance chief added a piece of armor to Galland's BF109 canopy, and much to the Chief's (and Galland's) embarrassment, bumped his head on it (hard) when he closed it. On his flight he got bounced by Spitfires, one of which almost shoots him down, and Galland was spared thanks to the added armor. Then Galland goes on about the Chief, arranges to have him given a leave, sending him off with a expensive bottle of wine...and ends the story with "I valued my head that much..." While I'm sure that the book wasn't 100% accurate or impartial, do think it was worth reading and gave a really good insight on the Luftwaffe.