Trumpeter 1/32 Su-27B, Синий 24, Kluczewo Airfield, Stargard, Poland, 1992

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 119 · 2 years ago · 1/32, Su-27, Sukhoi, Trumpeter
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

"Basic" light blue color application in progress...

This baby will eat A LOT of paint!
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

One bottle of paint gone...

This is the basic pale blue.
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Camo free-handed in process...

• Profile Photo

Gray applied...

...and the micro (or not so micro) corrective actions will be commenced.
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Pretty exciting how this is coming together so quickly, Spiros. The finish you achieved prior to painting is immaculate. The camo is laying down very well freehand (I really admire your airbrushing skill). Is the difference in colors between the last and second to last pics so obvious or just an effect of lighting? It looks like you overpainted your original colors with a darker grey shade. Perhaps you are layering on shades to get a particular effect? I think it would drive me crazy trying to get the exact right VVS colors in such a complex camo scheme. I am amazed by the accuracy of some builds I have seen on-line, however.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @coling!

The second to last pic was taken outside at midday with bright sun, the last was taken inside.

Also, in the last pic, the "medium gray" has also been applied.

It is true that Su-27 colors have given me a lot of concern during the last 20 (yes! 20!) years, since I started building my first Su-27: there's the "base" pale blue, then a darker blue and then a medium gray. Though a lot of credible research has been commenced by modelers and can be found at the Net, I have to say that I have witnessed quite serious variations at those colors not only through the years, but also between aircraft of the same time period.

Such observations led me to adopt the idea that standardization of Su-27 camo was not very strict, let alone that the shades quickly faded to a uniform bluish grayish coloring.

So, yes, I follow general Su-27 camo rules, but use shades that look "right to my eye" (whatever that means).

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Really nice work on this, @fiveten.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Dielectric panels painting in process...

This is definitely a 95% done, 95% to do model...
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Decisions, decisions...

By netting I discovered that no clear conclusion can also be drawn, regarding "standard" colors of wheel bays, landing gear and intakes. Many pics show that those areas were seeming to exhibit more or less the same underfuselage light blue, whereas bluish gray or grayish blue shades could be at cases so interpreted. In order to preserve my sanity, I did not dive into painting adventures with various shades so close to each other that no one could easilly tell the difference, let alone the fact that no solid standardization seemed evident.

What I did, was painting all above items with the same underside blue, hoping to "shade" themselves with some judicious wash...

Here she is:

Sorry purists!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Ohhh, that’s a thing of beauty Spiros! One light blue bottle for the main coat hein? That bird is big 😉 looking forward to see more mate

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @holzhamer!
    One good bottle of light blue so far!
    Here are the exhausts painted, awaiting buffing:

As you might have noticed, I have added two "extensions", in order to give them more depth; the turbine and spray rings looked too close, kit-provided wise...
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Very nice work around those turbines!
    I always enjoy looking at that area of jets, both on real planes as in models. The myriad of shades you can find in different jet exhausts makes this a very challenging paint spot, and in such big scale even more so Spiros. Looking forward to see the end result

• Profile Photo

Thanks again my friend @holzhamer!
    "Good" thing that early Su-27s, such as mine, did not have the white-ish ceramic coating found at many modern engines nozzle innards. So, I'll have to deal with the usual (?) nozzle weathering...

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Wow @fiveten, some great painting skills on display here, those jet exhausts look fantastic.