Trumpeter 1/32 Su-27B, Синий 24, Kluczewo Airfield, Stargard, Poland, 1992

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 119 · 2 years ago · 1/32, Su-27, Sukhoi, Trumpeter
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks my friend @chinesegeorge!

• Profile Photo

96% done, 96% to go...

The engine areas were painted "steel", the nozzles were buffed and the turbines attached at the back:
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

I smeared some clear blue paint over the steel painted engine areas, in order to simulate the uneven bluish shade that is observed in reality:

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Doors innards painted red...

The seat received its basic black color... ...and the cockpit received its middle blue base color (with a greenish hue) as well...
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Decalling started

Decals seem to be made by Cartograf and look excellent, however I am extra careful applying them, as they are almost 20 years old.
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 9 months ago:

The finish line is nearing my friend @fiveten
    My apologies for not attending this awesome thread earlier.
    First decals look great, like the rest of this build as well.
    I really love the paintwork on the engines, very realistic.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb! A lengthy, but very enjoyable build so far, a big model, difficult to handle!

• Profile Photo

Decalling cont.

The front big "square" decals gave me some trouble, as I stupidly decided to apply them at one piece, meaning twisting and the like...
    Anyway, all converged well, with Mr Mark Softer taking care of them at the pic...
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Those huge decals are challenging indeed @fiveten
    You achieved a great save on them.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!
    Everything in this kit is big and fragile!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Spiros, I know the sensation you had with those stencil decals, often those tiny decals have a tendency to wrap themselves up and it’s very frustrating to get them in place without damage
    Your gigantic Sukhoy is indeed a very impressive model, and that air superiority camouflage is awesome

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @holzhamer!
    Yep, it was frightening to witness those hollow square decals crumbling to themselves...
    A very graphic scene indeed...

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Coming along beautifully, Spiros. I love you airbrush work on the camo. The cockpit color looks really accurate and quite vivid to me.

Decals are such a unique challenge. Ironically the best in quality - i.e. thinnest - tend to be the trickiest to handle. I always try to flood the decal with warm water where it is placed, if it is necessary to reposition it or get wrinkles out. Nonetheless, this can weaken acrylic paint underneath so it can be nerve-wracking. I also dab with a damp microfibre cloth to flatten the decal, before applying softeners. That's my two sense worth, anyway. Obviously your own technique has worked well here.

Your challenges in handling this big beast remind me of building the Trumpeter P-38. With heavy nose weights installed, it was constantly trying to twist out of my hands and crash to the floor.

Looking forward to seeing this in all its completed glory. Great work so far!

• Profile Photo

Thanks for liking and all positive, very useful info, my friend @coling!
    With decals, I at cases feel I sail uncharted waters, even after all those modeling years: every case at every model seems "new"! 🙂

• Profile Photo

Decalling still going on...

About 70 decals have already been applied, I believe there are about 30 more to go...
    Those stencils are great, but time consuming.
    Thanks for stopping by!