Trumpeter 1/32 Su-27B, Синий 24, Kluczewo Airfield, Stargard, Poland, 1992

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 119 · 2 years ago · 1/32, Su-27, Sukhoi, Trumpeter
  • Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Really coming together well now, Spiros. Nice to have that big cockpit to drop in the final details cleanly and easily. I often leave the ejection seat until last on jet models. It is so fragile with all the details of piping, cords and handles that it can be a model in itself. I haven't yet done the seat at all on the Super Etendard, even though it is approaching major painting. I really like what you have done with the colors on your Sukhoi inside and out. It is shaping up to be an impressive beast.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks my friend @coling!
    At one point working on this beautiful beast seemed never-ending, so many "things" here and there...but looks like it is coming together now!

• Profile Photo

The starboard stabilator was attached "relaxed"...

Attachment was not the easiest, as the stabilator is heavy and there is no positive surface that it can be attached. Trumpeter had designed them to be attached horizontally (which is wrong for a parked plane). Moreover they were supposed to be attached at the engines external walls, which is totally wrong, so, I had to do some modifications, that I will show you before installing the port stabilator...
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Looking great as it is now, Spiros @fiveten
    Can imagine that most of the parts from this beast are on the heavy side.

• Profile Photo

Indeed they are, my friend @johnb!
    Anyways, I managed to attach both stabilators...here they are, curing...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Those stabilators look appropriately relaxed after some last minute adjustments that must have been a bit annoying. 🙂 Nice work, Spiros. I have had similar challenges with my Super Etendard tail surfaces. They are heavy for a very weak joint and, in addition, are supposed to be glued onto photo etch slabs which prevent secure gluing of the plastic to the fuselage. I am in the process of creating new slab pieces in sheet styrene, using the metal pieces as guides to shape. Sometimes kit design suggests the manufacturers never tried building the thing. Anyway, all fine within the challenges of modeling.

• Profile Photo

The last bits and pieces, Spiros @fiveten
    Must be difficult as well to find a suitable place to let it cure.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friends @coling and @johnb!

Yes, Colin, buildability is not always taken care of by some manufacturers at some models: this can be really annoying and a mojo debooster...

John, the Sukhoi was resting on its wingtip during curing, on an armchair, loosely supported by two pillows: a funny and, at that same time, frightening experience, as the support could "collapse" without warning.. .

• Profile Photo

Some antennas glued in position...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Small steps can make a clear difference, Spiros @fiveten
    Looks great.
    Uncommon location for the ones beside the cockpit.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!
    Yep, these are very characteristic for the Flanker!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Wheels attached

To my surprise, the Sukhoi severely tail sat...must have been the extra weight of the afterburner tubes I attached...

Since I will go for closed canopy, which, luckily, features a rear internal curved panel that blocks the underside view, I brutally opened a hole at the "floor" behind pilot's headrest , let a sufficient fishing weight rest in there and secured it with liquefied styrene...

Thank goodness, it will be hidden by the canopy's rear internal panel...

Also, a multitude of small antennas, pitots and the like, are attached.

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Hey, Spiros @fiveten@, these finishing touches are really making a difference. With the lead weights added it will be interesting to see just how much this beast will weigh when finished.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks my friend @chinesegeorge!
    This is a heavy beast!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Luckily you were able to solve it this way, Spiros @fiveten.
    How much weight did you have to add to get here back on the nose wheel?