de Havilland albatross, 1/72

Started by Erik Gjørup · 25 · 1 year ago · 1/72, albatross, de Havilland, DH100GB, dh91, Valom
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks John and Spiros. Sadly work seems to take all my time (and juices) and I really have to get back into this one. Hopefully I will be able to do some more work in the coming weekend @j-healy and @fiveten. (I did manage to CA the passengerseats and tables in place after the dryfit, so a tiny bit of progress should be possible)

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Rubberbandplane

The interior assembled and the whole lot got glued to one half

With one side glued, the other is held in place to keep things from moving about. Just a pair of rubberbands to hold it all while that sets

Should do the trick

The instrument panel is made from photoetch glued onto a black panel with white glue

Almost possible to see the glass shine in the dials.

Light from above

With the generous skylights it will be possible to see quite a bit of the interior. Being a bit pressed for time I have to decide if curtains will be installed or not.

Well, at least that gets it moving again – and while the glue sets it is on to something else. Perhaps one of the other stalled projects, perhaps the garden?

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Wings and wheels

Started the wings some time ago, and got some more done today

I must have forgotten to take any pictures of the first part of the wing assembly, as I connected the left lower skin to the centersection. Today I got the right lower skin and the upper left installed.

The wheelwell and mainspar got a generous amount of LqS when first installed, and works rock solid by now.

I installed the last windows

Having previously installed curtains – looking a lot better with them installed.

The wheels are butt-joined

So they were clamped and will set for a few days (or weeks?)

next up I hope to have the wing joined to the fuselage.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Nice progress, my friend @airbum, on both your updates (as usual I cannot figure out how I missed the previous one...).
    The interior looks REALLY nice, only hoping a lot of it to be visible...
    Looking forward to this so nice model!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Coming along nicely Erik.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks Spiros – it is easy to miss an update now and then, happens all the time to me too. The interior could have done with just a little more attention, as a lot of light goes in through those roof windows.
    Allan, thank you – trying to get it done soon as possible, but time is in short supply these days

No joining fuselange to wing

but a lot of sanding on the wing!

Even though I had hoped to be able to join the wing to the fuselage, I decided it might be better to get the wing finished as it need a lot of sanding etc.

The trailing edges were quite thick, and should anyone use this build to make their own Albatross, I think I would have thinned the wingskin before adding glue – mind you that will affect the wing/fuselage join later if done that way, but this kit needs a lot of attention by file and stick anyway.

As the wings were nearer completion, the engine nacelles were prepared

Just a little bit of flash here and there
    And then on with ordinary thick plasticglue

The glue seem to react perfectly with this type of plastic, melting the stuff rather nicely, enabling a small squeeze fit as parts are brought together.

next up – oh dear. Could it finally be wing/fuselage, or ?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Great decision to do as much work as possible at the wings prior to attaching them to the fuselage, my friend @airbum! Things flow much easier this way inasmuch as they cause trouble he other way round, with the wings joined to the fuselage, trying to attach, fill and sand in awkward angles and positions...

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Filler.

Lots of filler!

What can I say – almost a year ago I assembled the wing/fuselage, and added a lot of filler

Today I sanded it all – and added another thick layer! Even had to add some card at one wingroot to save me a lot of filling.

next up – well I am not entirely sure I shall be continuing this build as the group has stopped long ago, even though it is permitted to finish ones builds. All in all only three iModelers has commented through time, so with the lack of interest in following this civvie, I think I shall just continue the build outside iModeler, and close down this group for good. Thanks to all who took part in the group.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

This is surely a putty queen, my friend @airbum! Would be great to see this rare bird finished!
    This was a wonderful GB, with many nice entries.
    Thank you so much for creating and running it in a most respectful manner.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Definitely a lot of putty was entered, Erik @airbum
    I can imagine that this was the reason you waited for such a long time before pickin git up again.
    Looking forward to see this one finished in the end.