DH Venom FB-4 -Classic Airframes 1/48

• 5 posts
  • Last reply 3 weeks, 2 days ago
Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 posts
  • Colin Gomez said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

I see that the de Havilland GB is where the action is these days. Lots of great proposals coming up. I have been working away on my Shiden Kai over in the EoJ GB but things are very quiet there. Anyway, I am happy to look over one of my three proposed DH builds – the DH Venom FB.4 in 1/48.

Hard to believe that I acquired this kit 13 years ago. It is really quite a little gem. I think maybe I was moving towards 1/32nd aircraft when I picked it up and didn’t get around to looking it over. It is really tiny but very well molded. As you can see, the parts count is very low.

The only significant challenge on first examination will be the resin bits. I hate cutting resin off of blocks -especially when it is very delicate. Anyway this looks pretty straightforward with minimal sawing to do.

I will go with the provided kit detail in the cockpit and concentrate on painting carefully.

The ejection seat looks very nice. Clearly I will need to dig into my cockpit jet instrument dial sheets for the control panel (no dials on the decal sheet). The fit looks excellent on major components. The booms appear nice and straight and the wings fit very snugly to the fuselage as taped together.

I will go for the the 249th squadron option for Operation Musketeer. I really like the stripes used in this operation – very eye catching and nicely harmonious with RAF camo. Oddly enough, the box art is the only painting guide the kit contains.

Although there are decals for two other options, there are no profiles for them.

That’s it. I hope this will be an easy project; I really need one. Speaking of which, I have to get back to riveting my Shiden Kai. If you’d like to check it out, I have been learning a few useful things about that particular labor-intensive activity. Happy modeling.

• Allan J Withers said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

Good looking scheme Colin !!

• Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

Hi Colin!
    This is a wonderful choice! The kit looks very well detailed at key areas, those are some lovely resins! I hope the limited run nature of the kit will not give you significant fit issues.
    I can also see that there’s plenty of room at the front to put sufficient weight. As per my Vampire in-progress build here in this DH100GB, quite a bit might be needed: these are tailsitting beauties!
    The “Operation Musketeer” schemes are really eye catching, your excellent skills will deliver spotless yellow/black striping (a process I hate….).
    I love the Classic Airframes instructions. In fact I use their Vampire ones as a reference for extradetailing my Hobbycraft one!
    Quite a few projects are running more or less simultaneously at the moment, but, again, how can you say no at those gorgeous GBs that might emerge, like this DH100 here?
    I just try to concentrate at on or two and proceed them to finish.
    Waiting for your progress!
    Going to check your Shiden-Kai!

• Erik Gjørup said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

Colin (@coling) I shall be strapped in for this build too. It seems like more or less all groups are running at near idle these days, and I am no exception – work and daylight will change that soon I think, at least where I live.
    I usually free resinparts by cutting with pliers if at all possible without harming the item, and cleanup with a sharp blade. That usually works, but flattening with wet-sandpaper may be needed now and then.

• Jeremy Millan said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

Looks like this group is where all the cool kids are now! Very cool plane by the way! I’m gonna have to join in soon

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 posts