DH Venom FB-4 -Classic Airframes 1/48

Started by Colin Gomez · 25 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Looks wonderful so far, my friend @coling! Spectacular attention to details!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Great extra work done, Colin @coling
    Those bits of detailing will improve the looks for sure.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks, Spiros. Hoping to start painting soon. I need to do a bit more sanding here and there now that close up photography has revealed some flaws. The hazard of GB documentation is the close-up.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks, John, I am enjoying the detailing so far as it seems to be working with few major setbacks (knock on wood).

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Colin, it is absolutely stunning - very nice work on the fit and all.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years ago:

Thanks, Eric @airbum. I got a bit stuck on this one again when working with the clear parts. Basically the windscreen fits poorly and the way it joins with the fuselage through a streamlined fairing is not well represented.

Following photos online, I continued to build up the proper framing with 5 thou plastic card and liquid glue, taking weeks to get it to cure properly and smooth out with sanding. Doing this also made it look properly aligned with the whole fuselage. I also found that the canopy didn't line up properly with the windscreen in closed position. This might have been fine if displayed with the canopy open, but I wanted to close it temporarily for painting with liquid glue and have a good seal. I am also warning up to have this finally displayed with canopy closed, since the ejection seat is nicely visible anyway buttoned up. In any case, I had to reshape the edge of the canopy with more plastic card over the same time period. It looks good now, although note that the canopy is just resting in place without glue at this stage.

So, I finally got the result I wanted on clear parts fit. At this scale, further refinements are also possible by applying decal strips for canopy framing after painting (airbrushed the camo color). I did this very successfully with my Tamiya Mosquito and G4M Betty and the bigger SH Buffalo, all of which have lots of fine canopy framing that can chip off with a simple masking and painting process. Hope you like it so far, this is up there with my Skyhawk to get finished and so next in the spraybooth. Sorry, I realize this was partly documented already but I only got it finally right in the last 3 days.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years ago:

Your efforts really paid off, my friend @coling! The result Is superb!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years ago:

Great work, Colin @coling
    The canopy fits nicely with this fairing.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years ago:

Splendid work on that frame! Looks a lot better.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years ago:

Lots of nice work here. I remember this kit as being one of CA's more difficult, though worth the effort in the end.