Glencoe 1/59 de Havilland Venom FB.4, Fuerza Aérea Venezolana

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 68 · 3 years ago · 1/59, de Havilland, de Havilland Aircraft Company 100 years, Fuerza Aérea Venezolana, Glencoe, Venom
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Starting to busy-up the Martin Baker...

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

You busy bee you. Great additions to spice up the office Spiros!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Mr Admin @airbum!

Painted the cockpit base color (it is practically off-black). The Martin Baker was also painted the same color. It was then time for...

Decalling!

Decals were Scalemaster, made by The Master Loyd Jones (sadly not here with us any more - much missed)...

The decals behaved beautifully, no matter that they were at least 15 years old.

Here are the results:

I love FAV markings! Isn't it plain cool not to have any insignia on top of this NMF beauty? Only the "KEEP OFF" stencils are there (which I love anyway...ok, I am carried away...I stop).

Cheers DH100GB!

• Profile Photo

The ailerons hinge lines looked a lot unreal...

So, I decided to breathe some life to them. For this, I used some black stripe decals.
    Here are the results:

Looking better than before!
    Cheers, DH100GB!

• Profile Photo

Spiros, this is such a looker! Great job my friend !

• Profile Photo

Thanks, my friend @airbum!
    I might tone them black lines a bit down, to be more consistent with the surrounding engravings...

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 5 months ago:

@fiveten:

As with your Hobbycraft Vampire, you have really taken this Glencoe Venom to places no Glencoe kit has ever gotten to. An amazing result I wouldn't expect if I hadn't followed the project.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend Tom @tcinla!

• Profile Photo

Reprioritizing...

After finishing my French friend's Alpha Jet, it was time to get my hands at my Venom (and the Ki-45 of the EoJ GB)...

I finalized the Martin Baker, by painting, drybrushing and adding seat and foot restrain belts:

Ity will be very visible, despite the closed canopy, so I hope, together with the rest cockpit "business", to achieve eye distraction from the model's weak areas...

I gave the cockpit area a silver drybrushing and added yellow and red "knobs". I fit a control stick and a throttle that were leftovers from my Vampire kit I built a month ago and glued the seat in.

Here are some cockpit shots:

I then started to prepare the canopy. It had a nasty blob, right in front, so I carefully scraped it with my Excel knife, sanded it with 320 to 3200 grit and polished it with plexiglass polish. It looked acceptable, so I gave the framing a first coating of silver:

There was no exhaust nozzle to speak of, just a hole.

So guess what: I used a piece of wide straw (yes, from my sons' supplies...), painted it burned metal and installed it:

Cheers, DH100GB!

• Profile Photo

Some weathering...

Both old a new FAV planes pics show them to be in almost pristine external condition.
    I have every reason to believe that my FAV Venom was kept in very good external condition, too.
    I thus went to do a light allaround weathering/dirtying.
    Here are the results:

I now have to figure out how to represent the non existent mass balances that are attached underneath the horizontal stabilizer...

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Really looks great, Spiros (@fiveten), especially all the extra work you have done in the cockpit. The only problem with the mass balances are their small size which makes them tough to shape.

• Profile Photo

Thanks George @gblair!
    I will try forming the actual mass from tiny block styrene and attach a small piece of stretched sprue...

• Profile Photo

Now I've seen it all - a Venom that clings to a straw! I keep being amased by the ingenious things you find to scratchbuild your stuff my friend. Well done @fiveten.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my Friend Admin @airbum!
    And standing on her feet!

• Profile Photo

Mass balances made of stretched sprue, awaiting microtrimming and painting: