1/48 Airfix Stuka R2/B2 Trop

Started by Darren Dickerson · 27 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Darren Dickerson said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Hi There
    Planning to build this one as also the subject for our clubs annual Airfix Cup 2022.
    Adding at this stage Quickboost seat and exhausts as well as AIMS intake. Marking courtesy of ROP's Desert Stukas.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 7 months ago:

This will be a welcome addition to the Group Build, Darren. It's great that you have further motivation by having it as an Airfix Cup build for your club. I think this is one of the new tool Airfix kits, which are from everything I hear really nice. Having the resin bits is a bonus that covers all the details anyone might be doubtful about. I really like the look of the profiles from the decal sheet. My favorite is the last but they are all worthy, interesting and perfect for the DAW theme. Welcome aboard.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

A wonderful kit, Darren @darren-d
    Do have a slightly different version in stash as well and looking forward to build it.
    So I will definitely follow your build very closely.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

A wonderful entry indeed, my friend @darren-d!
    Really looking forward to see this new tool Airfix built with your excellent skills!

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Those are some nice decals , you’ll need to build more then just one Stuka .

• Profile Photo
    Darren Dickerson said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Update on the Stuka - cockpit nearly done and inserted into fuselage. The instrument panel slides in from the front and it is nearly done so it will be going in tomorrow. The engineering is good, though cleanup of all parts is essential to get good fit. The engine cowls are also done and getting a bit of paint /weathering in hard to get to spots before they in to fuselage. Really enjoying this one!

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Looking really great, @darren-d!
    What an amazing cockpit!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 6 months ago:

That is indeed a stunning cockpit, Darren @darren-d
    Have this Airfix Stuka (different schemes but likely same tooling) in stash and are eager to build this one as well.

• Profile Photo

I had a spare hour yesterday afternoon so cracked into the Stuka and now she has wings.
    It has been quite enjoyable and I would highly recommend this kit to anyone want to build a 1/48 Stuka (early versions). I have Hasegawa D & G for future builds...
    A few small gaps that will need tidy up but for most part - excellent fit all round.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Really nice work on the cockpit, Darren @darren-d. The wash effect for highlighting the seat detail is especially effective. Definitely a well-detailed kit with real painting skills on your part. The brace set up for today's assembly work is pretty cool. It must make working on the model hands-free quite a bit easier. Do you use it just for assembly work or also for painting?

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Great progress, Darren @darren-d
    Fitting does indeed seem great on this kit.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Great progress indeed, my friend @darren-d!

• Profile Photo

Hi Colin I use the stand to keep the model from being damaged when not been worked on, especially toward latter end of the build with bits hanging off that could be easily broken off. Could use at times for gluing small parts on as you can use rubber bands to hold the model in position - almost that extra set of hands you need at times in this hobby!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Very nice work Darren, and although I have yet to “taste” this Airfix Stuka, it sure looks better detailed than the Hasegawa kit. The only downside seems to be those countless sink holes, something Airfix can and should avoid.
    Looking forward to the complete model!

• Profile Photo

Added the cowl, rudder and tail planes. Also added the wing flaps but no pics as yet as they are little tricky to get in position so letting them set overnight to make sure all solid.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.