A-20/DB-7B (Boston III) tropical – AMT/ETRL

Started by Eric Berg · 161 · 1 year ago · A-20, A-20B/C, AMT/ERTL A-20 B/C Mk III, Boston, Havoc
  • Profile Photo
    Walt said 1 year, 9 months ago:

that is really looking great Eric, @eb801. I like the scheme and how you got it on the plane. It looks like the decals did great which is always my big challenge. Its going to be a great build.

• Profile Photo
    tom jenkins said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Great work Eric! Can't wait to see how it will look when finished!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Amazing steps, Eric @eb801
    The misty dust effect does look really nice, just like the result on your sliced G.
    Nice finding on the vents as well.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Great weathering, my friend @eb801 and absolutely realistic faired over cowl vents!
    Looking fantastic!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Thanks for the encouraging comments @gblair, @tcinla, @luftwaffe-birdman, @johnb and @tjenks.

Yes these AMT/ ERTL Havocs are fun to build and, considering the age of the tools, are still very contemporary kits and well worth your time. This is my second.

Hey Spiros @fiveten - Those faired over cowl vents are very realistic looking because that is a photo of the real thing. I am keeping these Red Roo replacement cowl vents open since I went through all the trouble procuring them not once, but twice.

• Profile Photo

5 Days Later, Legs in Place
    Slowly making more progress as I now have the main gear legs installed and getting ready modify and glue the nose gear in place. Bomb bay closed up now as the amount of weight I put in there is just right so this bird is no tail sitter. Note that the resin exhaust stacks are also in place. Need to add some exhaust stains.

• Profile Photo

That's some solid progress, my friend @eb801! Coming together really nicely!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 9 months ago:

@eb801
    It’s been some time since I browse this Boston WIP of your Eric, and boy! It’s a great looking model so far. The faded paint looks remarkable.
    As many said, the lines of the A-20 are very appealing

• Profile Photo

Thanks Pedro @holzhamer and Spiros @fiveten for checking in.

The Problem With the Kit Landing Gear

As I venture further down this Havoc rabbit hole, I continue to find more errors with the AMT/ERTL A-20 kit. Modelers have been noticing that after the kit landing gear is installed, the stance of the A-20 is too low especially in the nose. You can try and correct this but no matter what you do, including moving the gear forward and all that - it won't solve the problem. Whoever initially designed this kit must have decided to use the Dayton U.S.Air Force Museum's "Little Joe" for reference. (That's my belief. I have no proof.) Big mistake, because the oleos on that plane are completely collapsed as the hyrdraulic oil has been drained, so the plane sits low as it can go. Short of someone redesigning a corrected gear set, there is no solution other than mind numbing,corrective surgery, not worth anyone's time unless you are a maniac for punishment. The only Havoc/Boston replacement gear out there is the white metal Scale Aircraft Conversion set and all they did is duplicate the problem ones in this kit.

Here's a couple of photos of the oleos under normal hydraulic pressure:

Now here's "Little Joe's" nose gear over at Dayton's U.S. Air Force Museum:

And then take a look at the AMT/ERTL's nose gear. Notice the similarity? Trust me, the kit main oleos are also squashed.

The only solution I can see is just leave the main gear be and move the nose gear forward a tad and angle it a bit and call it a day. That day is forthcoming.

• Profile Photo

Very interesting observation, my friend @eb801! Your solution sounds effective.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Too bad they made this mistake, Eric @eb801
    Surgery does indeed mean a lot of work to correct it.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 9 months ago:

If you mount the gear just inside the nose wheel well, you can "raise' it enough to not look terrible. As i did.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 9 months ago:

From my own (limited) experience SAC only gives us white metal copies of the plastic parts it meants to replace. That’s ok if what the modeler looks is a more solid landing gear, but when the plastic has shape issues it’s just a missed opportunity from their products to deliver added value imo.
    And Eric, thanks for pointing this up. I guess if I come around to build my Havoc one day I’ll reshape the oleo and scissor parts

• Profile Photo
    Colin Latta said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Extending the nose oleo shouldn't be that hard. I would start by carefully removing the scissors, then drill straight up thru the wheel yoke into the leg (carefully centered) - perhaps 1/2 inch into the leg using at least a .020" drill bit. Next cut the wheel yoke off at the bottom on the fixed leg. Cement some brass wire the same diameter into the fixed leg (leave it longer than you think you need at this point). Now add of piece of aluminum tubing (or plastic tubing, or even extra drilled sprue) slightly thinner diameter than the leg - this is your extended oleo piston. Use photos to determine the length. Fit your (pre-drilled) yoke back on to determine where to snip off the extra brass wire. When trimmed, cement your yoke back on, spread and reattach the scissors, and your done - a properly inflated nose yoke that's solid because its wire reinforced inside.

• Profile Photo

Exactly, Tom @tcinla! I already did a few days ago after reading what you did with “Buffalo Dave” several months ago. I’ll post the results real soon. Your solution is definitely the easy way out.

The other methods that Pedro and Colin mentioned are very doable and accurate, but I just want to get this build over with once and for all and get a move on to the next kit. Like you said, no one will really notice