A-20/DB-7B (Boston III) tropical – AMT/ETRL

Started by Eric Berg · 161 · 1 year ago · A-20, A-20B/C, AMT/ERTL A-20 B/C Mk III, Boston, Havoc
  • Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Canopies Masked!

As you can see, I am darting around assembling things in advance of installing everything. The canopies are now masked and ready for paint thanks to Eduard's mask set which makes life a lot easier.

I also jumped ahead and painted the Armory resin wheels. I'm not sure if I like these or not. Seems the molded hubcaps and wheels are slightly off center. Although these are not sagged, the tread is fantastic and they sure beat the old True Details flat looking tires. A bit more touch up is needed.

Taking a cue from TC @tcinla, I dressed up the gunner's cockpit with some imaginary side wall details to cover up the noticeable wing insert indents. Also added the rear oval fuselage windows.

And I prepped and painted the props.

Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Great steps, my friend @eb801! Your superb skills are evident! The gunner's office looks nicer and busier!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Nice preperations, Eric @eb801
    Canopy masks are indeed a great relief.
    Indeed nice extra work done on the interior.
    Personally I would say that those wheels don't look that bad.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years ago:

Recent Progress

After taking a week off because of visitors, I'm back on it. The cockpit and gunner's bay is now assembled and installed. I'm about to install the Vector navigator's cockpit set next. In the mean time I am in the process of cutting apart the kit rudder, elevators and wing ailerons and replacing them with the much better looking Vector "fabric covered" replacements. I also need to fabricate a stowed life raft. Or will anyone see it since I don't plan on keeping the cockpit hatch open? Worth the effort? Stay tuned.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years ago:

Eric, looking great in the progress department. I say go for it with the life raft, and have fun. I added a simple painted putty example to my A-20G, and in some of my pics, you can see it clearly visible through the greenhouse. Yours will look better than mine, I have no doubt. 😉

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years ago:

Great improvements, Eric @eb801
    Looking forward to that liferaft as well, ditto for the fabric replacements.

• Profile Photo

@pb_legend - I guess I will make a life raft after all. Thanks for the encouragement, John (and @johnb too!). J.H: I have been regularly looking at your A-20G for reference - especially the cockpit. Once again, what did you make your life raft out of? Was it bake lite clay or something similiar?

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years ago:

Eric, if my memory serves me correctly it may have been a partially dried up piece of white tacky putty. I dont really remember, but anything that you can conform and wont melt into your project should work.

For what it's worth, I'm truly impressed by your IP. That's a labor of love setting those dials.. as far as the rest of the pit goes, mostly only the top is visible (such as your placard and belts) since the clear parts quality isn't that great. If I were to do it over again, I would have made the red parts on the throttle into two ball ends, and added the flip-up armor plate that some A-20s were fitted with. If C models had it, that may be something you could add to add visual interest to the deck behind the seat. Lack of those improvements stand out to me when I look at this kit on the shelf... food for thought eh?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years ago:

Great progress, my friend @eb801! The Vector resins are absolutely gorgeous, a big departure from the kit offerings. Looking forward to your next steps, life raft included!

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 2 years ago:

@eb801, Lookeeng good my friend! Very cool project indeed! 🙂

• Profile Photo

@pb_legend - You're right. The cockpit does need a little something behind the pilot's seat. I'm going to look a little closer to see if the C model had anything back there. There are so many variations of the early A-20 models including the C model it's difficult to decide which way to go. I was even thinking of doing the DB-7C version. I purchased a Red Roo Models tropical cowl kit with the corrected outer exhaust nacelles but the resin nacelle halves seem out of wack and don't line up so I am on the fence about using them. I'm in touch with Red Roo trying to determine why they don't fit as advertised. I'm going to have to make a decision soon or come to a temporary halt.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for stopping by Gary @garybrantley, Spiros @fiveten and John @johnb and offering your encoragement.

• Profile Photo

Fabric Ailerons Attached

First I assembled and glued the wings together and the removed the flat metal looking kit ailerons which was a bit of a chore as the styrene is a bit thick here. A good old no. 11 blade took care of it, with careful scoring.

I replaced them with the much better looking resin Vector "fabric" ailerons and sanded them a bit to get the trailing contour just right. A coat of paint will make the "fabric" pop. Kind of hard to see the definition in this photo.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years ago:

Those ailerons look wonderful, my friend @eb801!
    Great surgery!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years ago:

Indeed a big improvement on those ailerons, Eric @eb801.