A-20/DB-7B (Boston III) tropical – AMT/ETRL

Started by Eric Berg · 161 · 1 year ago · A-20, A-20B/C, AMT/ERTL A-20 B/C Mk III, Boston, Havoc
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Looking good here @eb801. Glad I was able to pass on some good suggestions.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks Tom @tcinla - any "how" to tips on moving the nose gear forward to get that proper stance? Did you do the same with the main gear?

• Profile Photo

@EB801 - I glued the nose gear as high and as far forward as I could with CA glue. Left the main gear where it is so I could maintain nose-sitting. Nobody else is really going to notice. 98% of what we do to "correct" models will never be seen by anyone, and 100% will never be seen by anyone who would know what had been done.

• Profile Photo

Fuselage Together!
    Glued the fuselage halves together now and attached the Vector resin navigator's cockpit in the nose and stuffed some bbs between that and the back of the instrument panel. Hope that's enough weight. Now it's time to add a little filler here and there and get down to some light sanding. So far the fit has been just fine. Steady as she goes.

• Profile Photo

TC@tcinla - Ain't that the truth!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Nicely coming together, my friend @eb801!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Very nice fitting, Eric @eb801
    Fingers crossed for the added weights.

• Profile Photo

@eb801: slip the wings on and tape the tail on and check for sufficient weight now. IIRC, I had to put weight in the front end of the engine nacelles and stuff weight all around the cockpit inside the fuselage.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Your A-20 is looking really nice, Eric. I am really enjoying this build. The care and extras you are putting into the project add a lot, particularly the resin control surfaces. You probably have tons of good references, but in case you are still wondering what to add behind the pilot's seat, here are a few pics I found on the Net of how that flip-up armor plate looks.

The pic of the real thing also shows some great detail on the hatch mechanism. The model shots show one scale representation. I plan to do my A-20s that way, when I get to them (Pacific and ETO versions).

• Profile Photo

@coling- thanks for those photos. That finished resin cockpit above is the Vector A-20B/C pilot's cockpit that has all the details the AMT kit lacks, including a nice representation of a emergency inflatable raft tucked inside a dufflebag. I wish I had purchased one of these. I am trying to determine if the early DB-7B and A-20C had these pop up armor plates installed and when? Guess I will have to fabricate one as it really does need a little something in the rear.

• Profile Photo

A note about attaching the "fabric" rudder and stabilizers

I recommend digging out the thick kit plastic edges where the two tail fin halves meet so the round swivel edge of the rudder, elevators, and ailerons can nestle into the cavities instead of butt up against a hard edge 90 degree angle where you cut the kit part out. You could also thin these down prior to gluing. I drilled a line of small holes and then cut them apart with a hobby knife to create an opening. Whatever works. AMT's plastic is rather hard to work with so if you end up with any viewable gaps, a finger dab of water soluable, adhesive white caulk will take care of it.

Here they are finished:

The horizontal stabilizers have now been attached to the rear fuselage and filler has been applied in only two areas. Fit is not bad and maintains a close enough 10 degree dihedral.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 1 month ago:

The Vector extras have really nestled nicely after your trick, my friend @eb801! Looking great so far!

• Profile Photo

And now, the tail

• Profile Photo

Have you checked the weight and balance as I suggested? Looks like your only alternative now if needed is to plop some in the nacelles through he gear opening.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Great work on the tail section, Eric @eb801
    A huge improvement over the original parts, especially with those evergreen hinges.