Revell 1/32 Hurricane Mk IIC

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 122 · 2 years ago · 1/32, desert air war GB, Hurricane, Revell
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Hi everyone!
    First, I would like to congratulate our Admin Colin Gomez @coling for the creation of this wonderful GB and his warm support upon all entries there!

This is my first entry to this great GB: the Revell 1/32 Hawker Hurricane, that I intend to build OOB and finish it as "BP349", a machine belonging to 73 RAF Squadron, operating at the Western Desert, circa 1942.

The Revell kit was initially issued in 1969 as a Mk I, "updated" with new parts as a Mk IICin 1986. That update did not really produce a correct Mk IIC, the main issues reported to be the short nose and incorrect wing.

Anyway, here are the sprues, still bagged:

Clear parts are crystal clear, but one big issue is that, upon opening the stashed box, the canopy was found broken in two pieces...oh, my! ...anyway, I very carefully glued it, the crack is still visible...I will try to find a replacement one, contact Revell (they reissued the kit in 2009, so I might be lucky; they used to have, and I believe they still do, a great customer support system...we will see...).

Instructions are great, containing helpful hints, together of actual plane detailed pics:

Here is the scheme I intend to depict:
    Decals look nice:
    The kit is definitely on the basic side, cockpit is spartan, wells detail is almost nonexistent. I will put the kit provided pilot in the cockpit, aiming to busy up that plain area.

More to come!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Great entry, Spiros @fiveten
    Nice to see that some real pictures are included in the instructions.
    I do hope you can find a replacement canopy.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!
    At least, since the crack is not totally revolting, it might be used to finish the Hurricane (open canopy, of course!), till suitable replacement is found...

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 8 months ago:

This will be a fine addition to the GB, Spiros. Once again, you will show us how much we can get from an older kit by a respectable manufacturer. From the instructions, the build looks like it will be straightforward. Nice that they give you an engine. On the canopy issue, I have messaged you privately with replacement options. I have found that Revell charges for parts delivery so purchase may even be more economical. Of course, there are many ways you could build the model OOB with the kit canopy, including as battle-damaged or tarp-covered in a diorama. Desert settings make great dioramas, IMO.

Anyway, wonderful to have you on board. The GB lasts for a year and there is no hurry on the build. I may eventually do the Hasegawa Hurricane IIc in 1/48 as a Canadian option (P/O "Bert" Houle, DFC of Massey, Ontario - RAF 213 Squadron Egypt). Aftermarket decals from Flightdecs.

I won't be posting it officially yet. Lots of commitments to meet. Our builds would compliment each other as I will need to use a vac replacement for the one piece canopy to have it open. I would also love to do the Trumpeter Hurricane IID in 1/24 but that is a future purchase. Very tempting.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for all supporting words on my entry and true help, regarding canopy possibilities, my friend @coling!

The Revell is an old kit, simplistic on many aspects, with some accuracy issues, a few more serious than the others. I really do not mind that much, as long as it more or less looks sort of like a IIC.

Yes, it is very interesting to see the hornet "allowed", isn't it!

Your Hasegawa IIC will look stunning once tackled, looking forward to it!

I also have a IIB, hoping to finish it as a " Greek" plane that fought in the Desert War.

Some of the Hurricanes assigned to Greeks had some interesting slight color modifications, mainly painting blue the red portions of the side fuselage and fin RAF insignia, sometimes carrying Greek codes, too!

Here is a pic of the Greek 335 Sq Commander's plane, from Mr Markos Danezis page at Pinterest:

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 8 months ago:

This will look great after you’ve worked your magic with this fine old kit, Spiros!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 8 months ago:

You're a braver man than I, @fiveten. This is going to tax even your forgiving beliefs about horrid old kits.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friends @ssgt and @tcinla!
    Yep, my "never bin - El Cheapo" attitude has good chances to be put into serious testing here... 🙂

• Profile Photo

Starting off

In order to gain some momentum, I started putting together some subassemblies: I assembled the cockpit SNF installed it at the port fuselage half, the wing, tailplanes, main wheels, desert air scoop and pilot. Quite some flash was evident, together with some warping. Fit is 70s Monogram, meaning less than perfect: the curing wing is hardly visible, hidden by the clamps! 🙂 Overall detail is not that bad really...

Anyway, here is the progress:

Then, I applied the basic cockpit color:

Cheers, "Desert" GB!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Coming along rapidly, Spiros. It will be good to see a hurricane in my preferred scale. I don't see so many built up in 1/32, even with the Fly or PCM versions around The cockpit should be fine with the pilot seated. While the detail is basic, much will be hidden in shadow. I am glad you are also to do a Greek Hurricane of 335 Squadron in 1/48. That would be really unusual and interesting, particularly with the Greek codes.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Spiros, @fiveten

This is a great subject to build for this group, and I definitely will be watching for the next installment. I happen to have two of these kits in the stash, and I definitely will be taking notes. At one time I wanted to scratch build the cockpit tubing and super detail it... I still might. By the looks of things, you will be ready for paint on this one in no time flat. Keep it going brother !

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @coling!
    Yep, the Greek Hurricane with the modified insignia, "Greek" coding "FG Σ" (FG stood for Fighting Greeks!) and some other customizations will be "different" for sure!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @lgardner!
    Yep, super detailing the cockpit is not at all a bad idea for your possible future Hurricane build. Maybe busying up a tad the landing gear and wells too. For the rest, the kit can hold its own: detailing, though raised is not minimal. Regarding some inaccuracies (mainly not too pointed nose and not 100% correct wing), you may either live with them or improve.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

This is a great start, Spiros @fiveten
    Thanks for sharing the FG Hurricane info, never saw this one mentioned yet until now.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!
    Yep, the "Greek" Hurricanes (also Spits and Baltimores) had some very interesting info accompanying them, making them equally interesting modeling subjects. Customizing RAF planes was not a so common situation there!