Spitfire V Trop - Aces of the Malta

Started by capt. R · 191 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 2 months ago:

After few days of work, and problems with my next new Airfix Spitfire (missing part in the box! I have to wait for spare part from Airfix. They reply me, and send!) I decided to buy KP Spitfire. Sometime Karma gives you another model than you want to build. KP kit have three different propellers nad spinners, and two options for wings (mark Vb and Vc). If you remember my last KP spitfire I had some problems with main landing gear and so on. I hope in this build will be better! I'm thinking about one of two planes Spitfire: EP706/T@L or AB535/T@Z. I hope it will be a fun build!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Pitty about that missing part, Lis @lis
    Great service from Airfix to sent you a replacing part.
    Looking forward to your KP build, never heard about that brand.

• Profile Photo

KP=Kovozavody Prosteiov from Czech Rep. It's old brand but now They build quite modern short run kits in quite good prices: https://www.kovozavody.cz/
    They have large collection of Spitfire. Also another nice planes.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Great entry, my friend @lis!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 2 years, 2 months ago:

I find that everyday with the Pandemic . . . is a new excitement and an adventure. You roll with it, play a little rope a dope and work around the problem. In my neck of the woods you don't see KP kits this will be interesting to follow Lis.

• Profile Photo

Show must go on...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Nice seat, my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo

A nice seat indeed, Lis @lis

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Glad to see you are forging ahead with the KP kit, Lis. I am sure you will do a great job with it. Of course, you will eventually be able to do the Airfix version as well when the part arrives. As a Canadian, I would personally favor Beurling's EP706/T@L. I know it has been built often but it is a richly historic aircraft. Beurling's spectacular career as a hero of the air war over Malta is almost without parallel. He is a fascinating character, so full of contradictions but undeniably a brave and skilled fighter pilot.

Nice work on the seat etch, BTW. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 2 months ago:

@lis - that wing option you are using that you have started to paint is the Vb, not the Vc that you want.

• Profile Photo

@tcinla I just wanted to make the Vb version .. By accident I bought this version of the model with the Vc wing option. It was the only one available from this brand in my hobby store 🙂

@coling Irving Kennedy who was flown on T@Z Spitfire was also from RCAF 🙂

@fiveten

@johnb

@stephen-w-towle

Real problem is what color was painted spinner? Manual from Dk decals said that it could be red. In Steave Nichols book Malta Spitfire Aces where I found that pictures i could be black? Deep blue? What do You think?

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 2 months ago:

When it comes to Malta Spitfires, all the "experts" are nothing more than guessers. And the least-good of them, the one with the dumbest "research" is Steave Nichols. He holds that they had all kinds of paint stocks on Malta and the time to paint the airplanes. In other words, he's a @#$#@#@!ing MORON. He's down there with the i d i o t who claimed the Sea Hurricane "Nicki" was overall white, despite there being photos clearly showing the white was on the upper surface, applied over a standard FAA scheme. Too many of the "experts" in the field of aviation history are "X-spurt - a drip under pressure." They copy from i d i o t s because they're m o r o n s, and eventually their BS turns into coprolite (fossilized stuff you wouldn't want to step in before it fossilizes) and then gets called "common knowledge."

• Profile Photo

@tcinla
    DK Manual suggest Dark mediterranean blue and azure blue undersurfaces in Irving plane, and Extra Dark Seagrey and azure blue in Beurling plane.

• Profile Photo

Instrument panel. As usually hand painted.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

And as usual of high quality, Lis @lis